Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Switching to raw and poos

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Morka, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Morka

Morka PetForums Junior

I have 2 four month boys that I have gradually been introducing to raw.

At the moment they share 1 x 165-200g good quality tin (feline porta, animoda, grau) in the morning.
    Half a cup of dry (Oriject, RC) during the day, “sharing” is an overestimation here, one was brought up on dry so he eats the most and is quiet chunky although being rugy he can not fight the “solid” gene :rolleyes:
    Darlings’ mince in the evening or microwaved white fish with eggshells.

Since they start eating Darling minces (2 weeks ago) their poo become a bit soft, solid enough not to be concerned but a nightmare to pick out and more smelly than before.

The plan is to eventually have them on raw 100% with occasional fish or natural treats (their personal favourite dried pig’s intestines from Zooplus).

Does other raw feeders seen mushy poos only?

#1 Morka, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hello, and welcome to the pf!

Hmmm, no, the opposite as a matter of fact. Their poop is a lot harder, smaller and less stinky that it was before. They also only poop once every 2 - 3 days.

If you are thinking of moving them over to raw anyhow, could you leave out the commercial wet food (which are good brands, I agree) and just feed them raw minces for a couple of days to see whether that will settle their tums?

You are currently buying minces - I like darlings too. Once you get your head more round raw feeding and to get the full benefit from a raw diet you could feed them big chunks of meat and real bones (i.e. make up your own recipes).

Considering how young your kitties are, it would be great if they got used to that type of food from an early age.

3. Morka

Morka PetForums Junior

Thanks you for the welcome! I came prepared and even have the pics of my monsters uploaded :thumbup:

Just think that moist food like mince along won’t make their poor more solid.
    Before they start eating raw they had tin + dry and had solid poos :confused1:

4. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

I would be interested to see what others on here think?

Just because the raw is moist it doesn't mean that their poop is going to be runny. The moisture of raw food is absorbed really well and the food is generally digested so much better - hence the hard, solid and rather infrequent poops.

Normally when people move over to raw they worry that their cat has constipation or even blood in the stool because it takes a long time for the food to appear in the tray and then it is almost black.

Which of the minces are you feeding? Are you feeding all three, or only one flavour?

5. Savahl

Savahl Guest

When feeding raw, poo is firmed up dependant on the ratios between meat and bone. So feeding the raw bones will firm things tenfold, not just mince on their own

6. Morka

Morka PetForums Junior

all 3 for 3 days and white fish for 4th and ocasional prawn/small meet chanks

7. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Darling minces contain bones Savahl - it is complete mince (80% muscle meat including heart), 10% bones and 10% offal.

8. Morka

Morka PetForums Junior

Agree! The Darling minces i have mentioined include bones, ofal, veg etc

9. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Veg? Did you get the cat minces or the dog minces Morka? The cat ones don't contain any veg.

10. Morka

Morka PetForums Junior

I got the cat ones, but when looking at the chiken variety there is defo something green in there :D

11. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

That's strange - I know the chicken ones i a bit of a slurry but i don't have any green bits in there. Does it say working dog food? If you have the one with the veg then that would explain your poop situation. I only give a small bit of grated carrot if my cats have problems.

12. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

my cat food from Darlings have the label for working dogs on but they told me at the time they didn't have any labels for cat food. That may have changed now though. Having said that there is no veg in this food either

13. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Yes, sorry I think I should have been clearer. Mine also say working dog food - I was wondering whether a different darling dog food that includes the veg would have a different label?

14. Morka

Morka PetForums Junior

The lable is "working dogs" but i have ordered over the phone saying its for the kittens and that i dont have any dogs.

Lamb and beef variety looks more meety and red but the chicken one darker almost like they have minsed the WHOLE chicken, intestines with grass and all :eek: even my cats agree as they woof down the beeef and lamb one strait away and the chicken one always down for an hour or two before disapering gradualy.

15. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hmm, my cat's don't like the chicken either, largely because of its mushy consistency. Mine is really light though and certainly has no green stuff in their. Of the three it is the lightest. I am now wondering all the more whether you were given a one with veg accidentally. They contain about 20% veg, which is way too much for cats and would explain the runny poo.

Could you just feed the beef and lamb for a few days to see whether that sorts the problem (I would also leave out the commercial food for the mo)? Also, how much of the raw are you feeding the kittens?

16. Morka

Morka PetForums Junior

1/4 of the tube for them to share in the evening.

Leaving chiking out sounds like a good idea, but they get chicken only ones every 4 days and soft poo every day.

17. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Yes, I agree very strange. I have pmed someone else on here who feeds Darlings to see what she thinks.

A couple of scenarios really. One is that there is veg in the chicken and if it is then that means 20% of the content of a tube will be veg - which is way too much for kittens (barfers use a max of 5% or none at all - depending on your persuasion). The laxative effects of that veg could be spreading themselves over a few days - since you are feeding them in rota, that might be a never-ending cycle, if you see what I mean

A second one is that coincidentally with you starting to feed the raw is that they have picked up some type of infection, which would have made them runny and smelly no matter what you feed.

So, here is my suggestion. Stop feeding the minces and the commercial food (particularly the dry as dry food and diarrheao is not a good combination as your cat will need moisture and the dry is zapping that). Get yourself some chicken breast and feed them a lightly seared/boiled bit of chicken breast with some of the cooking water (and a little white rice if you like - again that depends on whether you agree feeding your cats grains or not). Feed them that for a day or two and see how they go.

If they are still runny after a day or two of this light diet then I would take them to the vet.

18. Morka

Morka PetForums Junior

Thanks Hobs!
    No chiken mince for couple of weeks.

Although i disagree about the dry, since it is good quality and defo has firming up effect on the poos, plus they will get their mosisture from coocked breast with broth and they are a good drinkers, as i enterntain them by throwing ice cube in their water couple of times a day and they love to try and lick it out :p

19. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

How are they doing now? Are they still runny?

Love the idea of the ice cubes - may try that myself :thumbup:

20. The Twins

The Twins PetForums Senior

Right, just a few thoughts on this thread. One- the chicken mince i have, whilst not their fav, they will eat it and it is a whole chicken carcass and all but never have i seen any green bits or veg in it. Two- i wouldn't chop and change their raw mince every day, especially as they are so young. Cats, whilst some owners like variety to stop fussiness, dont do well on change of food all the time. Stick to one mince type for four weeks or longer if poss. This will also let u see if one mince type is better on their tums than others. Three- dont leave raw food down for longer than 30 mins. Two hours is plenty of time for it to gather bacteria and go bad. Four-i'd stop dry feeding, as this will take longer to digest in the stomach leading to possible bacterial build up in their gut. One of mine cant handle chicken very well so am sticking to beef, lamb or rabbit for now. Hoping he grows out of it. But generally if feeding raw exclusively, their poop should be firm, dark, dry, non-smelly. I would ring darlings and ask what the green bits are, personally! Good luck.

hobbs2004 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice