Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Switching brand of wet food and topper

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Nancy and the 2 B’s, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Nancy and the 2 B’s

Nancy and the 2 B’s PetForums Newbie

Hi, I have recently adopted a dog. He’s been eating wet food with a dry topper.... both of which have a high grain content and not much meat. I want to switch him on to a grain free brand the same as my existing dog.

I thought I’d just switch the wet food first, I’m on day 3 of replacing about a tablespoonful with each each meal and today his stools are very loose. Am I doing it right? Switch wet food then the dry or do both at once? If his tummy is struggling should I slow it right down and mix much less of the new food in?

Now his tummy is upset is there anything I can do to ease that?

Guidance appreciated!

Nancy

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Take a step back with the food to what he tolerated... Keep feeding same amount for a few days say 5 then slowly adjust amount old food and new food. It might be only 10-20% addition of new food.

Remember feeding guides on most foods are often generous. I usually guess that when you are looking at a recommended feeding amount, take off 20% start from there.

If stepping backwards to the amount of food your dog was OK with and still loose try chicken and rice for 5-7 days then slowly transition both foods to where the OK line is.

Always be aware, that with the best will in the world sometimes food that looks good on paper might not be the best to feed our dogs. Fancy websites, trends etc all govern the way we feed our dogs if we let it. We could be forever finding the optimum food for our dog. As long as your dog doesn't smell, easy to pick up poo, coat looks good that's all that matters.

3. Nancy and the 2 B’s

Thank you that really helps. His stools are ok today, I’ll keep to s small amount of new food mixed in. He’s eating less, he was finishing his food when he first arrived but now he leaves some. He is slightly overweight though so it’s no bad thing.

I’m not switching to anything fancy, just a pet shop own brand but one that’s grain free. He’s been on food for sporting/working dogs, which he’s definitely not so perhaps that’s why he’s carrying extra weight.

Anyway, I’ll take it slower. Thanks for the advice.

lullabydream likes this.
  4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

That's normally just a ruse to avoid paying VAT. Food for working dogs is exempt. The stuff in the bag is usually not significantly different to non-working foods.

5. Nancy and the 2 B’s

Ahh ok. Makes sense. The food was donated as it’s a charity that I got him from.

He’s switched now to be on the same good as my other dog, all is well

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice