Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Switch from Sheba to Sainsbury's Athena?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Siobhan O'Reilly, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Siobhan O'Reilly

Siobhan O'Reilly PetForums Junior

Is it worth the switch?
    I know neither are fantastic, but Athena is the first food EVER that my boys will eat, other than their usual Sheba.
    The meat content is hard to figure out, although the no cereals and sugars are great I think....

Is it a better food?
    Thank you all!

Treaclesmum likes this.
  2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Rather than switching I recommend you concentrate on adding it to their rotation. It is better not to rely on one product. Recalls, recipe changes, discontinuations, shortages, all happen. You want to feed your cats a rotation of brands, so that when these things happen you still have other foods they will eat (and, in the case of recalls, less risk they will be harmed)

So don't switch, at this point. Add. Feed a small amount of the new food each day, just a small little bit, to allow their bodies to get used to it, and after a week or so, if all is well then it can become part of the rotation. Feed both the Sheba and the Athena. When you have a rotation of three or four products, if you want to drop the worst one, that is the time to do it. :)

3. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

PS I can't seem to find any info on Athena cat food?

Siobhan O'Reilly likes this.
  4. Siobhan O'Reilly

You're always giving me such good advice!
    Thank you so much. Rotation it is! :)

lorilu likes this.
  5. Siobhan O'Reilly

It's new to Sainsbury's! It came out really recently Screenshot_20210709-154531_Sainsbury's.jpg Screenshot_20210709-154519_Sainsbury's.jpg Screenshot_20210709-154531_Sainsbury's.jpg Screenshot_20210709-154519_Sainsbury's.jpg

6. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Oh if only I could find something my fussy walking fur coat would eat apart from Sheba , not because I don't think he is doing well on it quite the opposite in fact.
    If you find another food they like add it to their rotation list ,Sheba as far as I'm concerned is not nearly as bad as it is painted ;)

7. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

Same here @buffie - but if I can find this new one at my Sainsbury's I might give it a go (but in all likelihood it will end up being donated to the sheltered along with every other brand that's been refused :rolleyes:).

buffie and Siobhan O'Reilly like this.
  8. Siobhan O'Reilly

Gosh, I know the feeling!
    I have tried EVERY food on the Zooplus list (properly, taking weeks, slow integration etc) my boys would rather starve than eat anything but Sheba.
    I thought I would give Athena a whirl, and I didn't even bother mixing with Sheba as I was convinced they wouldn't want it anyway!

Well, they both have cleared their bowls and asked for more!

9. Siobhan O'Reilly

My boys are thriving on Sheba! The vet was really impressed with them....but I get that typical cat mum guilt haha.
    Having a no sugar food in rotation will be awesome!

Treaclesmum and buffie like this.
  10. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

You have made a great choice! :)
    Mine also have Sheba in their rotation, as they do like a bit of variety and will start sniffing around for something different if they have the same food for a few days.

They have a Sheba Terrine Salmon pate at breakfast time plus 2 Athena pouches in jelly, then they have some more Sheba at lunch time, then more Athena for dinner, and sometimes a bit of Sheba for supper (they've got fresh prawns tonight though, a weekend treat!)

All 4 of my cats seem to enjoy Athena which is very unusual, but they have always liked sugar free foods. They used to like Catessy pouches from Zooplus, but the chunks were much bigger. So Athena is one of the best brands I've found of the jelly variety :)

buffie and Siobhan O'Reilly like this.
  11. Siobhan O'Reilly

Aw, I'm so pleased to hear that your furry family is getting in well with Athena. Their day sounds very similar to my boys!
    I was feeding them over four meals, but I have condensed down to 3 meals as if we go away, I want it to be feasible for a cat sitter.

Can I ask about the prawns that you feed? What kind do you get? I would love to add things like this to their diet for variety.

Treaclesmum likes this.
  12. Treaclesmum

I just buy a packet of cooked prawns from the fish section of the fridge in the supermarket, all of mine love prawns especially Jumpy! I have to make sure he leaves a few pickings for the others :Smuggrin

His favourite is king prawns but I sometimes get the smaller kind as the king prawns can be a bit chewy.

#12 Treaclesmum, Jul 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  13. Siobhan O'Reilly

Thank you, I've just added some to my shopping order! Fingers crossed they like them!

Treaclesmum likes this.
  14. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

Another boy here that has Sheba…am I tempted to get a box of Athena…of course I am. However, no doubt it will go the same way as @Bertie'sMum ’s box of it ;)

I’ve spent too long beating myself up about what I feed Oscar, now I’m happy if he eats, no matter what it is. Oscar is the only member of the household with a predisposition to anorexia. I’m also convinced that half the problems he has with food were created by my trying to get him onto better food after 11 years of supermarket food. He had his favourite chicken thigh from the BBQ last night though :)

15. Treaclesmum

You can also get a bag of frozen prawns too,I've used that in the past but then Jumpy got cat acne on his chin,and I worked out it was because the prawns were always quite wet when he ate them after defrosting. I was giving them every night, but now it's just a weekend supper treat (Fri and Sat night). He doesn't get acne when eating fresh prawns.

16. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

Me: "Hey Lily come and see what I've got for you, new cat food highly recommended by your Cat Chat friends"
    Lily: "Sniff, sniff - no thank you"

She didn't even try one mouthful :rolleyes:

I'll try another flavour tonight and see if that's received any better but somehow I doubt it !

17. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

You've only described Ollie's reaction:rolleyes:

Bertie'sMum and Siobhan O'Reilly like this.
  18. Mrs Funkin

I saw it today and, you’ll be so proud, I actually resisted the urge to buy it. I couldn’t face another reaction such as that described above :)

19. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Go on Mrs F. Be brave and have a go. Nothing ventured, nothing gained:Hilarious

Mrs Funkin and Siobhan O'Reilly like this.
  20. Mrs Funkin

Stop being such a bad influence @SbanR !!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice