Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Swelling after operation

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Brigg, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Brigg

Brigg PetForums Junior

Hi Finn has fluid round his stiches after having had a small bite treated my vet has assured me this is nothing to worry about as it can happen has anyone had experience of this problem and how long did it take for the fliud to disperse . ?? Thanks x

2. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Bites can get fluid round them. Just keep an eye on it for a day or so but don't be afraid to call them and take him in if you are concerned. They sometimes need draining if they don't drain themselves.

DaisyBluebell likes this.
  3. Brigg

Brigg PetForums Junior

Hi Thankyou Sarah

4. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

As Sarah H says if any any doubt at all that its not going down, or worse getting larger, dont hesitate to get in touch with or go straight to the vets, your paying for vets service/advice so they should be happy to help. Hope Finn is ok.

#4 DaisyBluebell, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Sarah H likes this.
  5. Brigg

Brigg PetForums Junior

Thanks for your reply Daisy I am afraid things have not gone well I was assured by the vet on Tuesday the swelling was normal and it would drain away round the body in time but last night liquid started to come through the stiches and by the morning it was a mess but the swelling had gone so I have to say the vets saw me early this morning and they have opened all the small wound again cleaned it out and he now has a drain in it he goes back on Tuesday hopefully to have it taken out . Bless him he is only 9months and apart from the odd attempt to get at the drain up to now he is doing fine . I will post again after the drain is out hopefully with good news .xx

6. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

At least you were on top of the situation straight away Brigg & got it sorted as soon as possible for him so don't beat yourself up. These things happen sadly but you noticed it asked about it on here and got back to the vet when you did. Hopefully all will be good & he will be fine once its sorted & the drain comes out on Tuesday. Don't let him get to the drain which is pretty obvious to say but at 9 months old they can be pretty clever and pretty sneaky!!
    Give the little lad a virtual hug from me and a big sloppy woofy kiss from my Emma x
    Look forward to good news on Tuesday.

7. Brigg

Brigg PetForums Junior

Hi Daisy Thanks I will give him a kiss from you I look forward to Tuesday will let you know .Tonight he will wear a body bandage as its impossible to watch him all night x

8. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Aww poor little guy! Good job you were on top of it. Remember he's your dog and if you are at all unsure it's always best to go back to the vet.
    I'm sure it will heal up OK now.

9. Brigg

Brigg PetForums Junior

Hi Sarah Thanks for your reply he had a walk today and appears to want to run but I wont let him until all the stiches are out Roll on that day !!! x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice