Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

sweaty horse

Discussion in 'Horse Riding and Training' started by don238, Aug 2, 2009.

1. don238

don238 PetForums Newbie

I am a new owner of Thoroughbred horse. he is an ex-race horse many years ago and I was told he is very lazy.
    While out on a longer ride, he became very sweaty and prancing and difficult to handle.
    Any:confused: advice would be grateful

2. lilacbabe

lilacbabe PetForums Member

Prbably just got a bit excited and was enjoying himself maybe racing head was turned on !!:D also my mare can get a bit irritated when she gets sweaty and prances.

dont know what you could do maybe just keep riding out perhaps in company and he will get over it but as he was a race horse the racing instinct may still be very strong in him .

You could also try and get a few lessons on him that may help

3. KerryBarnes

KerryBarnes PetForums Newbie

Hi Don,

As per the other comment it does seem to me like your TB is getting a little over excited or stressed.

As an owner in a racehorse syndicate I recently took our TB when it reached the end of its career. They really are delicate animals who do find it difficult going from a very regimented regime, out on the gallops every day and being in their box for most of the day (if they're out they can get injured) to a life of leisure. This is hard. I really would get expert help before attempting to ride yourself. They can appear lazy, but this is because they are use to being "worked" in a very specific way. Give it some time to relax, getting used to being a horse and it will pay off.

In terms of generally keeping a horse cool there are some good horse rugs and blankets out there which wick away any sweat and during those hot summer months keep the dangerous rays of the sun off them. For some pale and sensitive horses sunburn can be a real problem.

4. don238

don238 PetForums Newbie

Hi
    Many Thanks for your reply and advice, very grateful and helpful.
    Will def be investing in some lessons.

Very much appriciated as I feel more informed and less anxious myself, which I know my lovely boy also senses.:p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice