Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

SWD Help please

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ChrisMan, May 20, 2020 at 10:35 PM.

1. ChrisMan

ChrisMan PetForums Newbie

Hi all last year I got my family a Spanish water dog. I need some advice as we have had trainer upon trainer upon trainer try and help us !! Now I’m trying forums etc as we don’t want to get rid of the dog as he is now family !!!.

I got him from a well know SWD source pedigree place. The man gave me him and the pup was very shy nervous. I cared for him in my car in a little cage and brought him home.
    He was great as a pup jabs all good got passport etc and started small walks but I left the house after 2 weeks due to work I was away for months.( army )

when I came back the dog hates me growls at me hides under chairs when the wife goes out or upstairs.

I feed him by hand like a trainer said I take him for walks but he is a pure nuisance when the wife is home. He nibbles the kids feet’s and today he went for my mother in law she lent down to pick up a hola hoop and he just went for her barking and barking.

when my wife is sat on the couch he sits next to here as he has a clear bond with her and when I walk pass her he jumps and try’s to bite me !!

We don’t know what to to at the moment as I keep saying he won’t go for the kids aged 8-5 but it’s just in the back of your mind he might not.

So basically I’m seeking help to see how he will like me more and stop nibbling at the kids feet oh and when guests come into the house he just goes for them too..

If any one can help that would be amazing !!! Thank you all so much

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

What is he like with people outside the home?

Have any of the trainers mentioned resource guarding?

lullabydream likes this.
  3. ChrisMan

Hi there

he’s a menace when a person walks by he wants to jump at them and go for them we always have him on a lead.
    A trainer said once he jumps pull lead so he comes back I do but he wants to keep going for the person

4. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Hello and Welcome to PF:)

Do you mind me asking two questions....

1. did you see your puppy with it's Mom and siblings

2. are you in the UK?

5. ChrisMan

Hi there

yes I seen the pup with the family

and I live in the Isle of Man so had to get the boat to the island but we have ferry’s with dog cabins so I took him out of the car and let him on the boat. He kept hiding under the beds etc. Even now after a year he still hides. We have done nothing but show love and affection to him we have done zero discipline to him as clearly he’s scared of something but we don’t know what.
    We just went out for a walk whole family and again he keeps going for people. And when he’s in the boot of the car when the car comes to a stop at lights he jumps up and barks at people passing by

6. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Have you thought about a Behaviorist rather than a trainer to try and sort out what may be worrying him. Trainers aren't always the right way to go if a dog is frighten or worried about something. It wouldn't hurt to have a word with one, your vet should be able to recommend a good one.

Burrowzig and Sarah H like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice