UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Oh dear. That is just ridiculous! Argh, some people.

On a personal note, OH and I went to view that Frenchie on Monday- she was a lovely gentle girl but not what we were expecting. She had a funny limp, which the owner told us was because she has slipped over about 10mins before we arrived....this may well have been true but the limp was pretty obvious- she would have had to have done some damage to be limping. Betty falls off the sofa every now and then and just bounces.

Also a few other things, which I won't go into, but another thing I hadn't realised was the noise. I have known dogs with flat/short muzzles before and knew they snored and snuffled a little, but this dog sounded like a wheezing, grunting piglet- even when at its most relaxed, sitting and having a scratch. Without sounding ignorant, I didn't realise they made so much noise all of the time and neither of us thought we could live with it.

Sorry to add this onto your thread (!!) I just remembered I said I would update and never did! I still love Frenchies though. Does Rufus make a lot of noise when "at rest" or was it just this dog?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm currently watching a British bulldog and I hadn't expected the noise, it is quite something, I am actually thinking is it right to breed these dogs? 1mile walking and he comes back and pants constantly for a solid hour with no let up whatsoever!!! He's only 6 months too.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Theres a page on fb where people sell, give away and swap their animals like toys :( Its disgusting, theyre living breathing animals ffs :incazzato:
Theres just no getting through to some people :(

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
I'm currently watching a British bulldog and I hadn't expected the noise, it is quite something, I am actually thinking is it right to breed these dogs? 1mile walking and he comes back and pants constantly for a solid hour with no let up whatsoever!!! He's only 6 months too.
This is Bradley at 5 months, during a 45 minute walk. When he got home he carried on chasing Danny around until we decided he should have a sleep ;).
The difference through having a more pronounced muzzle, less loose skin and proper nostrils, is really quite incredible. The only time I've seen Bradley panting is when it's really hot, other than that, even the Terriers can't keep up with him! (Really lucked out there, a Bulldog that thinks he's a Jack Russell! :rolleyes5:)

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
It doesn't sound as though he came from an ethical breeders line. Well breed Bulldogs can run like the wind (when they can be bothered to!).

I've wondered the same about bulldogs and other dogs with flat faces... It doesn't seem right. Instead of people breeding trying to get them flatter and flatter, surely they should be doing the opposite? I love bulldogs (obviously, because I have one).. but don't agree with them being so squashed that they can't breathe. If I was thinking of getting one again, and couldn't find one with a nice long nose like Rufus I wouldn't do it.. it's not fair.
Good breeders are trying (and already have to a degree) decreased the exaggeration in Bulldogs :)

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Hopefully the "owners" of the Pug won't find anyone willing to swap! I'm sure there's plenty of morons who would be willing to do it though, the question is how long before they get tired of the new pup and want to swap it for something else?

Rocco looks like he has very, very narrow nostrils so his nasal passages are probably very narrow too :( I love Bulldogs so it makes me sad when people breed them without trying to improve the breathing issues. Selfish isn't it? He's a handsome boy though.

OH's Bulldog Major is short-faced but he isn't flat-faced, and he's blessed with some sizable nostrils:

He runs around without collapsing into a panting dribbling pile afterwards and walks for up to an hour. He does struggle when it's hot and does have breathing issues but for a Bully he does quite well.
The Bulldog in the village also has hour-long walks which he takes at a brisk trot! I don't think I've ever seen him pant, he's a very fit dog. On the other hand I met a Bulldog in kennels this summer who really struggled, and the Pugs which live up the road seem to as well, you hear them long before you see them.

Didn't realise how much of a muzzle Rufus has, he's beautiful!

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I'm a bit in love with Rocco, I love a big bulldog... and he has such a handsome owner too :D
That'll be Major! Didn't slip his name into my post it seems :D I think Rocco was the name of the Bulldog frankthewonderhound is looking after?
I think OH would be more flattered by you complimenting his dog than complimenting him lol, Major is his baby :rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.