Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

swabbing

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by vizzy24, May 25, 2010.

1. vizzy24

vizzy24 PetForums VIP

Does anyone get their bitch swabbed or insist upon a swab being taken on a visiting bitch? If so what are the reason behind it. I know roughly but just wondered what everyones opinions are

2. vizzy24

vizzy24 PetForums VIP

What nobody swab tests? :(

3. basi

basi PetForums Senior

When my male was being used at stud on the continent I made sure the bitches were swabbed before coming to him. The main reason for me doing this was the fact that many of the bitches travelled to many different countries to be shown. I have my own bitches swabbed before going to a male also.

4. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

I am a swabber ;) also very particular of cleaning both sets of genitals first.

5. vizzy24

vizzy24 PetForums VIP

Good to hear the swabbers out there. The reason I asked is the vet said he does not see a reason to swab. I was always under the impression that this could prevent loss of puppies from fading puppy syndrome as well as all the obvious stuff like transmitting diseases from other dogs. Bitches can harbour bacteria whether they are a maiden bitch or not. I have great faith in my vet but this did perplex me. Why do stud dog owners not get there dog swabbed? He said that fading puppy syndrome has been proved is not linked to this.

6. vizzy24

vizzy24 PetForums VIP

Oh yeah and how far in advance do you get a swabb done. Rosie is not very regular with her seasons. Can they be done when they are in season?

7. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

No one knows what causes FP, so I don't know how the vet say infection/ STIs can be ruled out as a cause, when so many others disagree.

8. vizzy24

vizzy24 PetForums VIP

I know, better to be safe than sorry I think. He said he can do the test he just thinks its not necessary:confused:. So why are only bitches tested?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice