Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Suspicious White pieces in Felix Wet Food

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by jasmine2, Aug 9, 2020.

1. jasmine2

jasmine2 PetForums Member

Hi, my cats like felix but from the last two months I’ve been finding suspicious tiny white pieces in felix food. In some variety like salman the food is full of white pieces and since eating these pouches my cats are regularly off their food sometimes and have been vomiting or having upset stomachs. Is anybody else noticing these white bits in felix if they use this brand and are their cats ok eating this food with white pieces?

2. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

A photo might help.
    Sometimes they come up with a new 'improved' recipe which the cats don't like.
    Are these suspicious pieces there when the pouch is freshly opened or after it's been in the dish for a while?

Calvine likes this.
  3. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Photos, as previously suggested, would be helpful. Photo to the manufacturers might also give you some answers (or you may get fobbed off) . Which Felix is it . . . the GAIL, Doubly Delicious, Tasty Shreds? I am currently feeding the GAIL to two girls while dad is away and I have not noticed any changes since February when I last fed them. Could it be little bits of fat? Show us a pic and we may be able to make suggestions. It is worrying that both of them are vomiting. How big are the white pieces . . . I know I never leave wet food down in this hot weather with windows open as I've had bluebottles come in and lay eggs (which present as little white bits) on what they leave . . . that is really horrid.

#3 Calvine, Aug 9, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  4. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

My cats aren't eating as well with the heat and I do notice white 'bits' in the leftover food which certainly wasn't visible straight out of the can.

I don't know what it is (it's not white fatty pieces that you see in some brands) but I certainly see it in more than one brand.

5. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

True, the fatty bits are normally more yellowish and are present in the 400g cans of Animonda Carny, Feringa etc when you get to the bottom of the can so you can either mix it in (I don't bother as mine won't eat it) or you can leave it there.

6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I saw mention of this in another thread recently but I don't know if it was you @jasmine2 or someone else. My advice is the same. Save the packets, including one already opened showing the bits and contact the manufacturer with photographs and stop feeding it to your cats until you know if it is normal to the product.

Buy a new batch. Check the dates and lot numbers on the ones you have, and buy new ones that have different dates and numbers and see if they are the same.

7. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

It would appear that OP has not been back, so assume she has worked out what the white pieces are.

Cully likes this.
  8. jasmine2

Hi, sorry I’m shifting soon so was busy in packing. I will post the picture of the food with white bits. Today when I opened new pouches of chicken flavour those were full with white bits and my cats have been sleepy all day and off their food now. I checked reviews of felix food on trust pilot and one gentleman was complaining about the same thing. He had contacted the manufacturer and their customer service has said after checking the batch number that these are now manufactured in Russia instead of UK. He said he has stopped buying this food. I’m stuck with felix because my cats love felix. I’ve spend lots of money on high quality food but they don’t like it. I don’t know what to do. Most high protein food is pate style and they like flaked pieces in jelly like felix.

9. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

@jasmine2: It sounds rather worrying . .. . have you complained yourself to the manufacturers? Re. a replacement food, have you looked thro' zooplus.co.uk - there is bound to be something there that they will like. Miamor do various pouches with slices, they do a ragout which they seem ok with and altho' they don't normally like pate, Miamor do a mousse (Miamor pastete) which they all like (especially the pheasant).

Treaclesmum likes this.
  10. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

It infuriates me when manufacturers change the recipe,and/or in this case, the country of origin.
    You'd think that a company responsible for making cat food would at least know something about cats and just how picky/fussy they can be. They should be aware that we have spent time and money on trialling various foods, and having found something the cats will tolerate/like/doesn't upset tummies etc then it's very important not to change anything about it, and they should properly understand the consequences for cat and owner of such changes and the difficulties caused.

Calvine likes this.
  11. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Thinking about it, I know a couple of people who say that they have stopped feeding the AGAIL as they suspect it has changed and the quality is not acceptable now. They both used to buy the large packs (about 120?), not the packs of 12, and both reckon their cats are leaving a lot of it.

12. jasmine2

Very true, today I will go to pets at home to look for something else. The question is if the cats will eat it or not. I’ve tried Zooplus and nearly all their food but my cats will only eat it if not given to them every day as a main meal.

Treaclesmum likes this.
  13. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

My cats are the same with pate, although there are a few they will eat every other day so long as I offer some jelly pouches as well! Miamor and Catessy pate are popular here, they are very soft. You can get other chunks in jelly on Zooplus like Miamor, Catessy, Affinity and Concept for Life and of course also Almo Nature. They are all worth trying. In pet shops mine like Wellness Core pouches, that was their breakfast today. It's quite a healthy one. Hope you find something which suits your kitties.

14. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I still hope to see some pictures of this food and the white pieces @jasmine2 ?

15. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

I mostly buy the 12 packs as I don't want to end up throwing a big pack away if the quality is not as usual. It's not just agail either. I buy Felix kitten selection in jelly, and poultry selection too. Some flavours she just doesn't like and never has, so end up going to feed my visitor, Sooty who will eat virtually anything. I can live with that as I'm not exactly wasting it by feeding him.
    These were my lifeline until recently but now she has started to refuse them.
    The only other she will eat is Gourmet Gold salmon terrine and the tuna variety too. I throw in the 'once every few days' Thrive chicken too but I genuinely don't think she tolerates chicken well and isn't just being fussy with it.
    I've tried most of everything else I can get hold of reasonably easily so am really annoyed about this turn about this change with Felix.

16. jasmine2

It’s very wrong of the manufacturers to do this to us and to our cats. The quality of felix is not good anymore and with Suspicious looking white pieces in the food I don’t want to feed my cat this food any more.

Cully likes this.
  17. jasmine2

0AC6DCEC-8403-4C78-AC34-5DE5E250993E.jpeg Today I took pictures of the food

Attached Files:

18. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I think they look like tiny bits of fat . . . but it's hard to tell and I must say I've never seen bits of fat in the pouches when I've fed cats for a friend. Can you send the photos to their quality control (or whoever deals with these matters)?

She has four cats, so a mega-pack has always been more convenient, but now she will no longer buy it.

Cully and Summercat like this.
  19. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

The only packets I recall with similar looking bits were Animonda exotic.
    I used to buy the ostrich sometimes. I think the bits in the Animonda were taurine. I don't have any of those packets at the moment but they always had the flakes. The Animonda wasn't jelly but pate.

Calvine likes this.
  20. Bb87

Bb87 PetForums Newbie

I too have had the same problem. Dont usually use forums but only came on google today to find out what the weird white pieces in the food are. I don't think they are fat as they are hard, grainy to the touch and break into tiny particles when you rub them with your fingers. What's worse is, if left over night and the cat bowl dries, even if shes finished her food, the little white bits are hard like hard brittle flakes, and if you rub them they turn to powder. This is quite worrying as it doesnt look right at all. I'll attach some images too. Funny enough there are multiple languages listed on the packet (not uncommon I know, but the packaging seems foreign) Russian on the back of the packet, and underneath on the date it says 05.2022 RU 40/1.

I will contact quality control too, as I think this is a major problem.

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice