Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Suspended prison sentences for Long Eaton family's dog neglect

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by foxylady, Dec 2, 2008.

1. foxylady

foxylady PetForums Senior

Has anyone read this story??

TWO members of a family who neglected a Dogue de Bordeaux – the breed made famous by Tom Hanks' film Turner and Hooch – have avoided immediate prison terms.
    Peter Jones and his daughter Kelly, who were responsible for looking after Dillan, received two-month jail terms, suspended for a year, for his mistreatment.
    Kelly's mother, Jane, will be sentenced at Derby Crown Court later because her part in the neglect was in breach of a earlier suspended sentence for benefit fraud.
    Yesterday, at Southern Derbyshire Magistrates Court, in Derby, district judge Joanne Alderson heard a top vet's statement that Dillan's case was the worst he had seen in his career.
    Addressing Peter and Kelly Jones, she said: "This is an appalling case of neglect.
    "The two of you spent weeks literally watching this dog starve and did nothing.
    "There was nothing else at all wrong with the dog because as soon as he was properly fed and watered he was fine."
    Mother-of-six Jane Jones had given Dillan to the RSPCA animal centre, in Radcliffe-on-Soar, in July last year, after he had been in her family's care since February.
    She pretended the dog was found in a lay-by and gave a false address in Beeston.
    But the family, then of Walnut Close, Ilkeston, and now of College Street, Long Eaton, were caught out when a micro-chip implanted in the back of Dillan's head led the RSPCA to his original owner, Andrew Woolley.
    They discovered that Mr Woolley had passed the dog to a friend to look after who, in turn, gave it to the Joneses.
    Earlier this month, Kelly Jones pleaded guilty at Ilkeston Magistrates' Court to causing the dog unnecessary suffering by failing to provide it with an adequate diet.
    Her mother, Jane Jones, pleaded not guilty but later changed this to guilty.
    Peter Jones failed to attend the hearing at Ilkeston and was found guilty in his absence.
    John Sutcliffe, prosecuting, said the dog was referred to one of Nottingham's top vets, Dennis Jones, who said it was one of the worst cases he had seen since qualifying in 1971.
    Mr Sutcliffe added: "The vet said: 'Dillan was in a shocking condition. He was the thinnest dog I can recollect seeing'."
    Dillan has now been re-homed and, when last seen by the vet, was on his way to reaching a normal weight.
    James Close, for Peter Jones, said his client had been working long hours and had provided food for Dillan, which he presumed was fed to him.
    Andrew Coley, for Kelly Jones, said his client admitted she should have given the dog up earlier.
    Peter Jones, 45, and Kelly Jones, 22, were also given two-month curfew orders, preventing them from leaving the house between 7pm and 7am.
    They were disqualified from owning an animal for life.
    Jane Jones, 44, will be sentenced Dec 4th.

This family is scum :mad: my daughter goes to school with there daughter.

#1 foxylady, Dec 2, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  2. mr.stitches

mr.stitches PetForums VIP

Thats awful Why give out such crap sentences though.

To be banned from owning an animal from life should well mean that, but how the hell do they reinforce it.

Everyday there is something in the paper about animal neglect, and it just really pisses me off!

3. foxylady

WOW 57 views and 1 reply.

Thanks for the reply, i agree the sentence's should be more, just got to see what they give the mother but i bet its the same as the others :mad:

4. FREE SPIRIT

FREE SPIRIT Guest

That is terrible and the sentence (or rather lack of it) is just as sickening. Hardly likely to be a deterent is it. Just banning them from having animals isn't enough. :mad:

5. Tasha

Tasha PetForums Senior

I only just saw it but we live in a sick world nspcc just released stats that suggest 1 child a week dies due to neglect

6. foxylady

I agree with the last 2 replys, i only posted because i no of the family and it makes me feel sick that i didn't pick up on it.

7. FREE SPIRIT

FREE SPIRIT Guest

Do you have to come into contact with the family much?....if you did it would be hard to not speak out and say something with the knowledge you have now.

8. vizzy24

vizzy24 PetForums VIP

I just can't believe some people:mad: Those people will do it again after all what so bad about a suspended sentence? No deterrent at all :mad:

9. claire

claire Guest

they deserve a lot more, that poor dog

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice