Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

SURVEY: Dewclaws and injuries in flyball and agility dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Agility and Flyball' started by TamsinD, Jan 24, 2020.

1. TamsinD

TamsinD PetForums Newbie

Good morning, I am a student at Sparsholt College, currently on the Access to HE course in Land-based Studies. For my industry research project, I have chosen to look into the possible link between dewclaw removal and carpal arthritis in flyball and agility dogs. I'm gathering data from owners and vets, aiming to weigh up the risk factors in removing dewclaws, versus leaving them intact and potentially sustaining tears.

I'd really appreciate some information from owners of sports dogs, and if you were able to share the questionnaire with other members of the community I'd be very grateful.

I have two questionnaires - one for owners and another for veterinary professionals. If you are a vet or vet nurse and would like to participate, please let me know and I will post the form. Thank you!

Edit: will try to add the link in a comment, the spam filter doesn't seem to like it! Alternatively, if you'd be interested in helping, emails to 19001502@stu.sparsholt.ac.uk would be much appreciated.

2. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

New members are unable to post links until they've made a certain number of posts (think it might be 25?) as a spam deterrent.

SusieRainbow likes this.
  3. TamsinD

TamsinD PetForums Newbie

Ah of course, thanks. I'm a bit rusty with forums!

4. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

As it's for a survey an admin like @SusieRainbow or @StormyThai might be able to help - I think they have in the past. You could try FB though as I think that's where most of the agility/ flyball people hang out (I do sports with my dog, but not those ones).

5. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Agree - there's a relatively small number of people/dogs on this forum who do agility compared to a facebook page like agilitynet.

Are you talking about front dew claws or rear dew claws or both? Where I live (not in the UK) it's now illegal to remove front dew claws except in exceptional circumstances (e.g. severe injury).

Torin. likes this.
  6. Oenoke

Oenoke PetForums VIP

I am both a vet nurse and have competed at agility for 20 years and flyball for 9 years.

7. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Post your survey on Agilitynet's Facebook page where you will get a much better response.

8. TamsinD

TamsinD PetForums Newbie

Ok great, thank you!

9. TamsinD

TamsinD PetForums Newbie

Thank you, I've posted on a couple of FB groups but I thought I'd try to cover as much ground as possible as I know some people who don't use social media but stick to forums.

There does seem to be a big variation on how common removal is depending on location. Americans seem to remove more often than not it seems. It was just the front, sorry I should have clarified!

10. TamsinD

TamsinD PetForums Newbie

Oh fab! Would you mind if I PMed you the form (or try at least!) please? I don't have any veterinary input just yet - I go on placement with two different practices in March, but a critical eye on my questions beforehand would be massively appreciated!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice