Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Surrogate Mum? Pest Problem Solved!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by cows573, Jun 6, 2017.

1. cows573

cows573 PetForums Senior

For those of you that don't know... I have a recently adopted cat that was pregnant but sadly lost her kittens.

I also have a relatively young kitten...

Both of these cats are permanently indoor cats (although one does try to be otherwise). They play racing around the house (a five bedroom farmhouse) and take it in turns to be 'it'.

We also have a pest issue, have had it since we moved into this house 2 years ago. We have tried a variety of mice poisons, traps etc to no avail. The wee blighters still reside in our house!

Our new cat, although obviously has always been an indoor cat, has taken it upon herself to be our resident mouse catcher! She catches and kills but doesn't eat them and is currently on mouse number 2 that we know of.

Today, we had the second mouse, and she is allowing our kitten to play with it (dead) under her watchful eye. She is also grooming the kitten (she is only young herself).

I am now in the process of removing the poison from various areas in our house and instead allowing the cats access to these areas.

Does anyone else have experience of a cat adopting an older kitten as a mentor?

#1 cows573, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    huckybuck likes this.
  2. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

When I got Little H Grace was just one (so still very much a kitten) but she decided to mother him. I do think she has strong maternal instincts as prior to that I watched her gently take our cat sitters puppy with her paw and try to scruff him.

Little H looked up to her and copied everything she did (mind you he also copied Huck as well). I felt a bit sorry for her as she almost instantly became a Mum overnight and lost a bit of her kitten hood. However after about 3 months she decided enough was enough and became his sister instead. The kitten Grace returned!

057A0991.JPG 057A0482.JPG

Babyshoes, Charity, LJC675 and 7 others like this.
  3. cows573

cows573 PetForums Senior

Mouse number three hit the dirt today! lol...

I think our Fanta is gradually reducing the mouse population in our house! Thank goodness....

4. Pepperpots

Pepperpots PetForums Senior

Philip, a male cat (1 yr old at time, rescue, stray from 8wks), definitely took Badger (8wk old, male, scared rescue) under his wing and mothered him. Including washing his bottom after he'd had the squits and looking out for him when he was scared. They are still totally besotted with each other a year later, although there is a bit of brotherly squabbling occasionally.

I hope to foster at some point in the future and I think he's going to be a great step dad.
    IMG_0866.JPG

5. Ringypie

Ringypie PetForums VIP

When we first got Parsnip, Flint still went out (he became an indoor cat when we moved). He used to bring live mice home for Parsnip to practice hunting. We saw him do it on a number of occasions. Cute but a real nuisance!

PetloverJo likes this.
  6. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

My old boy Woody ( late neutered tom stray for years) certainly took Wiggins under his wing as a kitten. He often pinned him down for a wash and stepped in to stop him being a PIA with the other cats.

PetloverJo likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice