Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Surprise newcomer, how long should I give my dogs to get used to a cat?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Stephiib14, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Stephiib14

Stephiib14 PetForums Junior

Last night there was a situation in which a cat needed somewhere to go or would likely have been drowned... so I volunteered my upstairs because my doggos don't go up there.
    Kitty has however made herself comfortable in the house and comes downstairs despite the dogs and wants love and fuss from my daughter who now wants to keep the cat... I can afford to keep her... I have the time etc... but I need the dogs to accept her, I've explained to my LG that thats what we need to do and if they aren't all happy we will have to find a rescue place or something for kitty cat.
    Of course its new to the dogs, how long is a reasonable amount of time for me to keep the cat and see how it goes?

2. Nicola234

Nicola234 PetForums Senior

Hi
    It took my dog about two weeks to get used to my kitten, you can try swapping scents, rub a towel on one of them then the other. Introductions with the dog on a lead or the kitten in a crate to let them get a sniff at each other. Good luck :)

Stephiib14 likes this.
  3. Stephiib14

Stephiib14 PetForums Junior

Thankyou, the dogs aren't so bothered by the cat as the cat is the dogs. It was just totally unexpected and all of a sudden here we are with a cat, so I've not done much research on it and don't want to push it too long for either the dogs or the cat should they fail to get along, thats not fair to them and I don't want to stress any of them out too much x

LinznMilly and Nicola234 like this.
  4. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

It took a month to fully introduce my previous dog with kittens.
    On day one one of those, now cats, were fine with my current dog (she never batted an eye at the cats) but the more skittish cat again was probably a month till she was much more comfortable coming downstairs when the dog was awake.

LinznMilly and Stephiib14 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice