Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Surprise me!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by tailtickle, Aug 24, 2013.

1. tailtickle

tailtickle PetForums Senior

If you are looking at a Litter of Puppies, do you prefer the Breeder to choose and match one to you? Or do you prefer to choose yourself?

I have come across several people who much prefer the Breeder making the decision, and two whereby the Breeder did not allow free choice!

Personally, I would always wish to choose a Puppy myself, and would not have it any other way.

tailtickle x

2. Canine K9

Canine K9 Bailey Woof

With Bailey I didn`t have any choice (only one in the litter) but my next pup (Looooong way off) I want a show dog so I`ll get the breeder to pick for me (ideally) since I`d expect them to know a lot more than myself about what to look for!

3. Indiandpuppy

Indiandpuppy PetForums VIP

I would want to choose the sex, with marnie I was stuck between 2 and Carla chose for me x

4. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

With Kilo we specified sex, visited the litter and let the breeder know our "top three" with them ultimately deciding which they thought would suit us (having got to know us well as we were on the waiting list for a year or so) best. We were fortunate in that we got out first choice but I would have been happy with any of them TBH.

With Rudi we started talking about an addition when Kilo was 2 - 2 1/2 when he was about 18 months old. I never saw the litter bar photographs and updates from the breeder. We talked extensively about Kilo's character and until we moved over the water they had seen Kilo regularly. We are in touch every few weeks minimum anyway and have been since the day Kilo came home, they are very supportive. So, the breeder chose the pup that they thought would compliment Kilo best and I was happy for them to do so. I didn't see Rudi in the flesh until the day we picked him up and so far (touch wood!) he seems to compliment Kilo very well.

I am very happy to be guided by people with far more experience within the breed than me.

#4 Dogless, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  5. Lauren5159

Lauren5159 Lover of Terriers, loser of the plot.

I think it depends.

If it's a pet, a companion dog then I would like to choose (with the breeder's input). But if it was a show dog I was looking for, I would want the breeder to choose... They know what to look for at such a young age, they know what traits to look for, temperament and breed standards... I think the breeder's choice and input is invaluable if you want to show your dog.

I originally wanted to show Skip... I knew I wanted another male and their was five in the litter. The breeder showed me which ones met breed standard, had potential had show prospect and matched my personality... It just so happened that I saw Skip and fell in love. She told me that he would be perfect for me but wasn't breed standard (didn't have a predominately white body)... So my dreams of showing were put on the back burner... I took Skip and the breeder was more than happy with that.

I think a good breeder will not let you have all the say. They will point you in the right direction and will know enough about you to match a puppy. I also think good breeders will listen to you and give you some leeway :)

6. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Some of my dogs came to me as older dogs so I had no choice but with Owen the breeder had 4 males left she picked out 2 which she thought would be the best show dogs and we chose between those 2. The others we have bred so we chose which we liked out of the litter ourselves and maybe didn't always choose the best show dog.

When we had Alex because he was a pet we chose ourselves which OH prefered if I had been after a dog to show I would expect the breeder to help make my decision.

7. vet-2-b

vet-2-b PetForums VIP

well im picking up my pup in 15 minuets and the breeder chose for me as she knows the characters better then I do also I want a show potential and a bitch so that narrowed it down to 3 and there's only who would really be show size so that was the decision made :) I think a good breeder will have a better idea of character and as long as you discuss your lifestyle they can make a good decision :)

8. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I think it depends on the individual situation. With Indie, I got pick of the litter, and Indie was actually one pup the breeder was considering keeping back, there were two or three, but in the end Indie was mine and she really chose me. Tau was a Hobson's choice, I wanted another pup from the same bitch, as Indie didn't turn out all that bad, and she only had the two bitches in the litter, the breeder kept the other one. Rhuna, well, most people on here know she wasn't planned but was meant to be, and Zasa was obviously planned, and chose me, I tried to keep an open mind and was very taken with the black bitch pup in the litter, but Zasa just kept jumping to the fore front!

I think it would be a while before I bought in another pup, if things don't work out with breeding on from Rhuna and/or Zasa, then I'd have to start looking around, and may choose to bring in another breed at some point, but I enjoy having my retrievers and can't see that changing any time soon.

9. DollyGirl08

DollyGirl08 PetForums VIP

I suppose with a litter where the breed is one block colour, all the pups are the same and not distinguishable as such, so it wouldn't really matter if the breeder chose.
    Whereas a litter where there are different colours/coat patterns then you might be more drawn to one pup or want a particular colour etc, so would be a bit 'sad' if that is the right word, if the breeder matched you to a different pup, if you had your heart set on a different one.

I haven't chosen any of my dogs, apart from Simba from my own litter of 8 yellow labs, but to me, they were all distinguishable lol.

10. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

For me, my way of thinking is, I have to spend the next 15 or so years with the dog, I would like to choose. As it was, I didn't choose Louie and Pen was the only bitch left.

However saying that I am happy to be guided on which ones would suit our lifestyle best. But ultimately I would like to choose for myself.

11. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

I would be happy to be guided by the breeder, especially if I was looking for a pup to potentially show. I would greatly value their guidance as they know the pups best and would also be much better at identifying show potential.

We didn't get a choice with Fitz as he was the last dog left in the litter. With Wybie we had the pick of the litter and the breeder (who we're now good friends with) guessed which pup we were going to be drawn to as soon as he was born :lol: Thankfully he turned out to have the perfect temperament as well but I would have been happy for the breeder to suggest a different pup if she thought they would fit us better.

In the future we'll likely be branching out into a new breed and I will be happy for the breeder to pick a puppy for us in that situation.

12. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

My FIL chose our first two: he chose well, Jake was hilarious, intelligent, a lovely easy dog. Brig, his brother, is sensible, calm except in the car, an easy dog.

We chose the current youngsters; I went for temperament, looks, a puppy that let me manoeuvre him into a position and didn't object, got Bear, my ideal boy, eminently trainable, well behaved, obedient. Zak threw himself at the OH and he just fell for him hard! He likes a more 'difficult' dog. :rolleyes: I would not want anyone choosing for me.

Springers can look very different and I'm very particular about how I want mine to look.

13. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

I would like to choose my pups and have done.
    I have quite a good understanding of dogs and their behaviour and I love a challenge so even if do pick a difficult pup I don't think it will be a problem for me. I have lots of time for training and Rossi is by no means 'easy' and I've learnt how to have fun with the things he can do rather then stress over the things can't.

All my dogs are and will be pets, if I ever do get into competitive obedience properly then I would like the assistance of the breeder to help me choose the right pup.

14. JessIncaFCR

JessIncaFCR PetForums VIP

If I was getting a pup now, I would definitely want to choose myself :)

Jessie however, was going to be shown, so the breeder chose for us!

Inca, we had a choice of 3 show quality bitches and we chose Inca out of them based on her temperament, so we sort of chose Inca, but not Jessie.

With any pup now, I would want to choose myself, but I would of course take into consideration what the breeder told me about the puppies as they would know them better than me whilst in the breeder's home.

15. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

But there is so much more to a pup than the colour; if I had my heart set on a particularly marked pup and a breeder told me that he was temperamentally unsuitable then I would have to accept that and be happy with the one best suited to me or wait for another litter. Even in breeds with one block colour there are still differences in features and markings - for instance in RRs the ridges and any white markings; I like Kilo's white star and Rudi's one white toe. Not striking like in other breeds but still there nonetheless.

16. springerpete

springerpete PetForums VIP

Always choose my own.

17. Vicki

Vicki PetForums VIP

I haven't chosen any of the dogs that I've had from the litter. My first dog I got as a Christmas present from my parents. My second dog was picked from the litter by my mom. I never even saw the litter, since my mom didn't tell me that a relative's dog had had a litter because she didn't want me to beg for a puppy when she had decided that we were not going to have one, but she fell in love with the puppy and we got her.

My third dog was 16 months old when she was rehomed to me. Of course I had a choice if I was going to take her in or not, but I didn't really choose her. My fourth dog I bought as a puppy from a breeder and I was the last one to choose and the breeder lived far away so I never saw the litter, but was "stuck" with the one that no one else chose.

Dog number five was also rehomed to me as an adult so I didn't really choose him either. Dog number six is the one I've got now and I was last in line for a bitch and when the litter was born there wasn't one for me. I turned down the offer of a male (I prefer bitches), but when the puppies were 7 weeks old the breeder got a cancellation of a bitch puppy and he offered her to me.

I don't really care if I get to choose or not. I've ended up with great dogs anyway.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice