Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Surolan side effects?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Sugarella, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Sugarella

Sugarella PetForums Newbie

Hi I'm new here and was wondering if anybody could give me some advice. My dog Khaleesi was recently diagnosed with ear mites and given surolan drops to treat this. The only problem is it seems to make her itching a whole lot worse and she is now scratching to the point of bleeding on her shoulder neck and last night most severely her ear. She has seriously damaged the area around her ear and my vets is closed until Tuesday due to Easter. I can't get to their emergency surgery as I don't drive and it is a long way from here, over an hour in fact. Does anybody have any idea on what I can do to help my pooch until I can get the vet to see her?

2. SixStar

SixStar Banned

You need to call the vets at least. She could be having an allergic reaction (as one of my dogs did to Surolan).

I see you're based in the West Midlands so I am sure you're not over an hour away from a surgery that is open - even if it's not one you usually attend.

Ceiling Kitty likes this.
  3. Sugarella

I'm with the pdsa as I recently had to change my work load due to health, I can't afford the £160+ consultation fee the only emergency vet in my area is asking for before she is seen and I've rang both but neither can give advice without seeing her.

4. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Have you called the PDSA help line?

Is she insured?

5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Stop using the drug for now and see if it calms down. Get back to the vet when you can. In the meantime, take some photos of the soreness to show the vet. Try to get one of those cones to go around her head to stop more scratching - a pet shop should have one, or try social media in your area for a secondhand one.

6. Sugarella

I only started her insurance this week when I knew my budget, sadly I can not claim anything for the first 14 days so although I checked with them I can't be covered for this. I called their help line but they just told me itching would be normal as its a reaction to the mites dying I tried explain that itwasnt just normal itching and she was damaging herself and they just told me to watch her closely to prevent too much damage. I just found out the spare cone from her recent spaying and put it on her (she is not my friend right now), but I'm scared it could lead to infection. I've never had this situation in any other dog I've owned so it's left me at a loss as to how I can sooth the itching and irritation

#6 Sugarella, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  7. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

I'd stop the meds and ring the OOH vet. The PDSA usually use VetsNow for their OOH so there will still be a vet at the end of the phone you can talk to. Telephone advice is free, so give them a bell.

8. Sugarella

Hi just wanted to thank and update you all in my dogs situation. I did eventually find a sympathetic vet who told me to bathe her in a mild shampoo for itchy skin, place on the cone and reduce the allocation of the surolan to once daily until I got in with my own bet on Tuesday. When I arrived they told me to go back to the surolan as directed despite my repeated insistence it was doing more harm than good, and to still return for my follow up appointment which was today. Frustrated I returned to what the second vet had told me to do (cone, bath, reduced treatment amount) and noticed that although she was still scratching it was not anywhere near as bad or as red. Today I explained this to a completely new vet to the surgery (first day there) he took one look and instantly completely changed the entire treatment routine, meds the lot. He agreed it looks as though she was having a particularly bad reaction to the combination of mites and meds. So thank you for taking the time to reply to me, and making me feel like I wasn't just going insane.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice