Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Surgery on Monday

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Nellybelly, May 26, 2010.

1. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

So poor little Bella is booked in for surgery on Monday. She has had an inflammed paw with a cyst for almost 3 weeks now. There have been days where there has been improvement so the vet has been reluctant to do invasive surgery under GA, but clearly the paw is not going to heal on it's own. Well, the reason the surgery is booked for MOnday and not today or tomorrow is because hope always dies last, and she is safe as she is covered by antibiotics, but 99% Bella is going in for her surgery on Monday.

2. rona

rona Guest

You two have been through the wars these last few months :(
    I hope it shows significant improvement by Monday, and there will be no need for the op

3. vizzy24

vizzy24 PetForums VIP

sorry to hear that she is poorly but good luck with the surgery

4. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

So does our vet, he is quite the optimist...

but I'm just gutted and not really hopeful:(

The GA, the recovery period, and of course my biggest worry...what if he find snothing when he opens her up? Then we have an unexplained problem...I have even had nightmares of leg amputation, and woke up thinking "she's a little fighter I'm sure she can still enjoy life with 3 legs!!"

5. dodigna

dodigna PetForums VIP

Try not to think like that. It is hard your moral is under your feet she has been through so many things lately, really hope she improves by monday on her own.

6. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

We went to the beach yesterday and I've also brought some sea water home, but the paw isnt getting better. It's not getting worse because she is on antibiotics, but it's not healing.

I have to call our vet Sunday night and let him know if I have decided to go ahead with surgery or not yet (or obviously not at all if it has improved). But unless there is some miraculous recovery, Monday is the day!!:(

I'm just thinking about it all, the fasting after 7pm on Sunday...no water after 10pm...the sedation, the stitches (not biting these off), restricted exercise etc etc. I know there is so much worse out there, and I should be grateful, but I can't deny that I am really upset about this. Our vet is so reluctant to put her under sedation and GA again, but we've exhausted all other options.
    The good news is that I get to stay with Bella until she is asleep so she doesn't get unnecessarily stressed. She will possibly be allowed back home by lunch, but he may want to keep her in and monitor her until the afternoon.

I will be seeing her right after surgery so I wont be wondering how big the incision is and how many stitches, but she won't be ready to come home just yet.

7. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

It's wicked, having all that hanging over your head, especially the fasting (sad eyes looking at you, why won't you feed me momma?) and worrying about the anesthesia. And of course we always borrow trouble and worry about what will be found.

However the sooner that thing is out of her paw the better. I have heard of other dogs and cats too (even one with FeLV!), having this type of surgery and they all did well afterward.

If it DID come down to amputation, you can bet she'll be fine, but...try not to worry about that yet. Just get that thing out of her foot!

Best wishes to Bella for an uneventful op on Monday.

8. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Aww thank you.
    I paradoxically wish Monday would come sooner, all this worry is making me sick:(
    I will of course be updating all of you on Monday.

9. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Poor Bella & poor you :( will keep everything crossed for Monday x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice