Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Suprelorin - experiences?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Lizz1155, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Lizz1155

Lizz1155 PetForums VIP

Just trying to work out whether a Suprelorin implant is right for my dog - I find the idea that it's possible to mimic neutering without doing anything irreversible quite appealing.

I've read through the product data sheet (here, if anyone wants it: http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB..._Discussion/veterinary/000109/WC500068832.pdf) but still have a few questions:

Whereabouts on the dog is the implant typically implanted? Is a general anesthesia necessary for implantation? Does the implant have to be removed after 6 months, or can it just stay there? Costs, recovery periods etc...?

Is there any sort of rebound effect if you let the implant run out?

And in your experience, how well does it mimic the effects of neutering?

Also, is this something UK vets commonly do, or will my vet think I'm silly and should just get my dog neutered?

2. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Chester had it in about 18 months a go, it goes in the nape of the neck , similar place to the microchip, no anesthesia is needed.

Most vets use it , so you won't look silly ;)

You need to be aware that it can last longer than quoted on the leaflet as this is only an estimate .

No need for removal after the six months I'm sure it just dissolves into the body

Only effect you will have if the implant runs out is the dog will produce testosterone again and his testicles will grow back and IMO it mimics the effect of neutering brilliantly .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice