Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Supplements to help sensitive, itchy skin.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Nic Corr, May 25, 2019.

1. Nic Corr

Nic Corr PetForums Newbie

Hi, I'm new here and was hoping some of you fellow dog lovers could help me.

From being a pup, my dog, Mac, has always had very sensitive skin. About a year ago his paws began to be affected and he ended up with interdigital cysts. The vet has tried a few different treatments which have only made a very minor difference and the positive effects have never lasted very long. He had a course of injections as part of his last lot of treatment, which he would have been having every month. It seemed to work really well at first, but then his paws became itchy and irritated after three months. The vet agreed with us that it wasn't worth continuing the treatment.

Thankfully, the cysts seem to have gone (so far, no cysts for over 6 months - touch wood that continues). However, he is constantly licking and biting at his paws due to the irritation. There is nothing visible, but we know from experience that this is an irritated skin issue.

I am using Non-Stinky Stuff and also Paw Stuff from Stinky-Stuff, and although the Non-Stinky Stuff food supplement makes some difference, Mac is still licking his paws a lot. Having said that, this has been more effective than the treatments we have tried from the vets. The only real solution from the vets is steroids - while they do work, I'm not happy with him being on steroids long term as they have the potential to cause serious damage in the long term.

Does anyone know of any other food supplements I could try to help with itchy, irritated skin? I personally feel this is the way to go with Mac, in addition to using topical balms on the paws themselves. I would also be interested in hearing of any topical treatments people have used successfully.

Having searched the internet, I found a site where a vet suggested daily washing of the paws in water mixed with a little iodine. I have ordered some iodine solution from an animal pharmacy, so will also be trying this once it arrives.

It's probably going to end up costing a small fortune, but I think it's going to be trial and error until I find the right balance of food supplement and topical treatment for him. At the end of the day, I'll do whatever it takes. As our vet said, it's just unfortunate that he suffers from skin issues, as otherwise he's a very happy and healthy dog. I've invested in a really good set of shoes for him, with rubber soles, as I know issues such as pollen, temperature and salt in the winter are the triggers for the cysts. Now I just need to resolve the general dry, itchy skin and my fur baby will be able to get on with being his crazy, happy self without the distraction of itchy feet!

2. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Has the possibility that Mac might have a food allergy been discussed? It might be worth trying single protein foods and working out what does and does not make him itch?
    I know there are people on here with dogs with food allergies and hopefully they will see this and can explain how to go about it, the best brands etc.

I hope you find something that helps the little chap soon. Sorry I can't be more help.

Torin., JoanneF and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Agree with @ForestWomble , have a go at a food elimination diet. I'd also not want to be bathing paws in iodine every day, just a warm wash to get rid of any pollen and soothe them.
    My girl has always had skin problems, I got her onto raw food which helps immensely, and now can feed her some dry and wet food (I just check the ingredients). However she also has seasonal allergies which used to be controlled by anti-histamines until last year where she had an awful flare up and got put onto Apoquel. Although I don't really like the idea of giving her drugs long term I cannot deny it has almost completely eliminated her itching and her fur and skin have totally recovered.

JoanneF, ForestWomble and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. ttaylor45

ttaylor45 PetForums Member

My toy poodle Pepe was prescribed Apoquel for his skin and it certainly worked I also used to give him yumega boost and yumega itchy dog to help his skin which was very dry possibly from being on steroids for 10 months to treat anaemia. I sadly lost him last November to kidney disease.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice