Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Supplementing home made diet.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by SarahJayne934, Oct 14, 2019.

1. SarahJayne934

SarahJayne934 PetForums Newbie

Hey,

I have a very fussy Cocker Spaniel puppy called Milo (M). He is 5 months and weighing about 9kg. I have tried him on a multitude of different wet and dry foods and he either refuses them or they give him a bad stomach. Not to mention the fact that some seem to cost a small fortune. I end up just giving him a bit of what we are having or scrambled eggs.

We have decided to try making our own meals. Firstly to try and get him to eat something but I also like the thought of knowing exactly what he is eating. One cheaper food I saw contained little more than meat additives whatever they may be. I am unsure as to a raw food diet. I would worry that I am going to accidentally poison him I think the safest option for us would be cooked meals. I have gathered a bunch of recipes, looked into foods they should/ shouldn’t have, quantities, nutritional split etc. Basically I have researched till my brain couldn’t take no more.

I am worried about meeting his nutritional needs so had looked into supplementing his food. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this. I have found online a complete supplement and had been thinking about giving him salmon oil for some time. I have read that calcium deficiency is a big problem for dogs on a raw/ homemade diet. Do you have any supplements that you would recommend? Thinks to look out for? Things I should avoid? Etc. Any tips or tricks really.

I’m new here so please bare with me, our old dog ate whatever we gave him so it’s not something I have ever had to worry about.

Big thank you in advance,
    Sarah

Attached Files:

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I'm no expert but there are a couple of things in your post that jumped out at me.

If something in his diet is toxic it won't matter if it's cooked or raw.

I'd have thought that the supplements you would need would depend on what you feed and what is therefore missing from his diet?

At 5 months and having had a "multitude" of foods, maybe he has learned that if he refuses food, something else will be offered. Given the complexity of the subject, if you can find one he will eat, a good complete food would give you peace of mind that you are meeting his needs. Have you tried wet, dry, puzzle feeders?

Sarah H likes this.
  3. ttaylor45

ttaylor45 PetForums Member

My toy poodle Rusty was very fussy and like you I tried loads of the wet foods finally settling on Natures menu tins but only the the chicken or the beef and chicken variety as the other two flavours had rice in which he didn’t seem to like. As he got older I also used the Natures menu country hunter tins and pouches which he seemed to like but again only certain flavours. I think with Rusty it depended on the texture of the food he didn’t like the very mushy ones in the trays like Forthglade etc. I sadly lost both him and Pepe last year so am hoping that when I get a new poodle puppy it won’t be as fussy as Rusty was. Pepe was very good with his food though and it wasn’t until he got to be 12 years old and developed kidney disease that he wouldn’t eat dog food anymore so I cooked chicken, beef and fish for him with vegetables and sweet potato and gave him a pet tab vitamin tablet as a supplement as advised by the vet. As he had kidney problems I also gave him pronefra or Ipakitine with his meals to limit the phosphorus he could digest which of course wouldn’t be needed for your puppy. Hope this is of some help to you sorry for the rather long post.

4. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Raw really isn’t that bad once you get used to it.
    I started with pre made Natural Instinct then moved to DIY using nature’s menu just meat blocks and adding my own offal/bone as necessary. I learned as I went along but it isn’t for everyone.
    Have a look at the supplement SF - 50. I used it for a while and it came highly recommended.

Unfortunately I had to stop raw as my little terrier developed tummy issues (not raw related) and needed more in her tum.
    I feed Eden Country Cuisine with Butchers Tripe cans these days.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice