Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Supplement for dry skin.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by sbonnett76, Nov 14, 2012.

1. sbonnett76

sbonnett76 PetForums Senior

Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of advice. We have a 3 year old 30kg female rottie who we rescued about a year ago.

During the summer, she suffered from grass mites so she's been having monthly advocat spot ons. She has a dry patch on one ear where she scratches and a little in her armpits. We've spoken to the vet again who thinks the mites is has now cleared up, but has suggested she may just be prone to skin allergies so has suggested supplementing her feed with fatty acids.

We've used viacutam on our cats before and it works well, but it's really expensive. The vet has also recommended yumega, but again, on a regular basis the cost mounts up.

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what we could try that isn't going to require a remortgage?! What about good old fashioned cod liver oil?

Many thanks,
    Sarah.

2. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

Not sure but have you looked at kibble which is fish based as it has Omega 3 in it.

3. sbonnett76

sbonnett76 PetForums Senior

We haven't thought of that. Thank you, I'll take a look.

4. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

5. terencesmum

terencesmum PetForums VIP

I believe cod liver oil is too rich in vitamin A, so you might want to consider salmon oil instead. You could also just add a couple of tins of sardines into her diet.

My dog also suffers from dry skin and he has sardines a few times a week and gets evening primrose oil and yumega oil for sensitive skin (which has salmon oil in). :)

6. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

One of mine was covered in sticky and dry scabby patches last week. I've withdrawn all cereal (including treats). I've also started him on evening primrose oil as a mate said it cleared her skin up. He has no sticky patches left, the dry patches have disappeared. It's been dramatic! I've ordered salmon oil too (Viovet does the Fish4dogs one at nearly a third of the price as the manufacturer)

Look at the ingredients in your dog's main food. Cereal is often a trigger for skin issues (rice seems to usually be ok)

7. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

Hi, I have two Rotties, both fed raw, but one suffers (or suffered ;)) with Eczema or more commonly referred to as "hot-spots". These are very common in Rotties, but I put Flint on Evening Primrose Oil about a year ago now, and he's not had one since. He gets one capsule daily. I'm on a fb page for Rottweiler owners and they all agree that EPO can help enormously and it's always worth a try. We saw a difference in 2 months.

8. maxandskye

maxandskye PetForums Member

My Girl ( GSD ) has been atopic ( like excema / dermatitis ) from being 6 months old, shes now 7 yr old. Its been a constant battle & very costly. Sadly we have had to resort to daily steroids but have found things along the way to ease her condition.

UDOS Oil on her food.
    Regular bathing in Epi-soothe ( from the Vet )
    sudacreme on the sore patch.
    Clean her outter ear with virgin olive oil on a cotton pad, gently wiping it out.

Food plays a vital role, chicken is the worst thing ever.

I swear by feeding my girl Fish 4 dogs Salmon complete Fish4Dogs Online Shop - Natural Food & Treats for Dogs & Cats

9. the melster

the melster PetForums Senior

I have some Yumega Dog from Lintbells which is good.

10. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

11. Dot

Dot PetForums Member

I have a labrador with dry skin issues. Vet recommended three cans of sardines per week (drain off oil, if in oil). Vet said to take him back if this did not work but so far, working well.

12. Dave Hume

Dave Hume PetForums Junior

Sbonnett, simply a good quality food rich in oil will help sort this out but effects will not show for about 6 weeks but it will show. I suggest Duck.

13. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Try Salmon Oil and Apple Cider Vinegar.

Fish4Dogs Sos Salmon Oil, Fish 4 Dogs Omega 3 Products

How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Dogs: 7 steps (with pictures)

Google the benefits of Apple cider vinegar for dogs and you will see that all the pages say "itchy skin".

14. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Why drain the oil off? Mine get it in oil. It's brine you should drain off.

15. Dot

Dot PetForums Member

Only following vet's instructions. He advised that the oil can frequently upset dog's stomach so he told me best to drain or buy them packed in spring water.

16. Sezzastar

Sezzastar PetForums Senior

I usually use cod liver oil but am upgrading to salmon oil when my bottle runs out :D And the apple cider vinegar sounds brilliant..!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice