Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Supplement combination help

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Elle Travis, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Elle Travis

Elle Travis PetForums Newbie

Hi there,

I currently give my 14 YO Jack Russell Youmove and Cod liver oil alongside his Inflacam (Meloxicam) and have just bought a Boswellia and Curcumin mix to help with his pain. My question is does anyone know if he is OK to take all of this? I'm quite worried about the long term effects of Inflacam on his stomach and kidneys so I may take him off of this and try mixing Devils claw in instead but I'm dubious about making the changes as the vet always wants to keep the dog on NSAIDs so you cant trust that what they are saying is the best option for your dog and there are just no Homeopathic vets anywhere near me.

Regards,

Ellé

Attached Files:

2. SixStar

SixStar Banned

At 14 years old, if Meloxicam is keeping him free of pain and it is suiting him, I would personally keep him on it - it's about quality of life when they get to this age. If it's not suiting him, I would look at other NSAIDs like Tramadol perhaps. There are lots of options and I think a decent pain relief medication is essential in a presumably arthritic dog, especially if they're old.

Has he had a recent full blood panel to see how things are going?

As a side note about the CLO - you might want to consider swapping this for a fish body oil, like salmon. CLO is extremely high in vitamin A which is a fat soluble vitamin - excess is stored in the liver rather than excreted in the urine, and can build up to toxic levels over time if given daily.

Your little chap is lovely :)

Twiggy and Burrowzig like this.
  3. Elle Travis

Elle Travis PetForums Newbie

Thank you so much for the advice! He is still very bouncy and playful for 14 but just stiff and limpy sometimes (usually after laying down for a long time) but the Inflacam has surley helped - as you say, I just want to give him the best quality of life I possibly could.

Ahh I do give him Youmove and CLO every morning, do you think I phase this out (maybe giving him CLO every other day until it runs out) or just stop the CLO all together and replace with daily Salmon oil then? Also should I give the Salmon oil daily? Thanks again for that info, I never knew that!!!

Thank you, he is such a cheeky chappy <3 Your pup is gorgeous, is that a NF?

4. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I would personally stop the CLO all together and just give salmon oil - but if you wanted to use up what you've got left, then yes, every other day would be good. Salmon oil is fine to be given daily - all my dogs get this in their dinner every evening, they love it and it's very good for skin & coat health as well as joints.

And thank you, yes that's Ozzy, my Newfoundland :)

5. snickypoo

snickypoo PetForums VIP

Is it your Ozzy that is prone to pancreatitis? If yes, is he ok with salmon oil? I want to start giving to Luna, but I'm wary because I'm scared of it triggering another pancreatitis flare up?

6. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Ozzy had an attack of acute pancreatitis rather than the chronic form. I stopped the salmon oil for a long time but recently started adding it back in and touch wood, all has been fine. Acute is less likely to reoccur than chronic though :)

#6 SixStar, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    snickypoo likes this.
  7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Devils claw can cause exactly the same problems as meloxicam. Just an FYI.

'Natural' does not equate safer.

8. snickypoo

snickypoo PetForums VIP

Ahh right ok, I'd best have a word with my vet then, Luna has chronic pancreatitis so I would think that adding any oil or fat would have to be done very carefully, if at all.

I'm glad your big lad is staying well now, pancreatitis is so awful for them, my poor little 'un has had 5 attacks now, she's only 11 months old, thats on average, an attack every 9 wks!:( No wonder she is such a little thing, she's always off her food.
    Anyway, on a more positive note, she is on the mend......again! She has eaten well again today:Smug so, the only thing she has given me to worry about today so far, is the delightful fox poo she felt the need to do a backward belly dance in :Vomit not nice:Yuck:D

Thanks for letting me know about the salmon oil, as it is a 'good' fat, I was very tempted to slip half a tsp in her dinner just to see how she went, thinking on now, that would have been a daft thing do do without checking with the vet first. It's times such as this that I really miss the thumbs up smiley! :)

9. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Oh bless her heart, that's such rotten luck :( I've never heard of it in a puppy so young.

It is certainly awful. I've never had one of my dogs seem so close to deaths door, makes me well up just thinking about it.

FWIW, I would definitely avoid added oils with a chronic pancreatic dog.

Hugs for Luna and for you.

snickypoo likes this.
  10. snickypoo

snickypoo PetForums VIP

I know what you mean about 'deaths door' :( Luna has had me scared witless, I've thought on a few occasions that I was going to lose her, she is very young to have chronic pancreatitis, my poor little girl, she doesn't complain though bless her :( It's a very nasty condition for any dog to have, but for a puppy, it's so sad, it's robbed her of so much of her puppyhood, when she should have been running around getting up to mischief, she was usually curled up in a ball sleeping because the illness has sapped her energy, killed her appetite and left her weak.:(

Don't get me wrong, she's had her moments of mischief, but, she has by no means been the hyperactive, demanding, full of energy husky puppy that I was expecting, this rotten illness has definitely knocked the wind out of her sails!:(

I'm certainly going to avoid oils, Thanks xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice