Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Super Strength?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Corneal, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Corneal

Corneal PetForums Member

People say that small pets shuld have ceramic food bowls so they cant tip the over and spill their food everywhere, yet my boy Barnaby usues his bowl like a toy and loves through it around like a ball. I thought this was just coz he's super strong, then I saw my elderly frail boy Kevin doing the same thing... do i have super rabbits or is this normal?

2. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

How big are the bowls?

A ceramic bowl is only non tip-able if it's big enough and heavy enough for the pet in question :)

lullabydream likes this.
  3. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

When I had rabbits I had non-tip bowls rather than ceramic...after one of my first rabbits I ever owned threw her ceramic bowl out of the front opening hutch. I actually think that was lucky as it could have been thrown down the ramp to the concrete area and smashed and hurt itself. So I personally would never recommend ceramic, as they can't half hurl them. Only needs it to have a slight fault in the ceramic to break which you may not notice.

Am sure others will disagree but if you have multilevels it's not something I would risk personally. As long as the food is able to stay in an area that is dry I don't see the problem.

4. Corneal

Corneal PetForums Member

The food bowl is about the size of a human cereal bowl, and they live in a shed that is single story

5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Sounds the same size of most bowls marketed for rabbits.

It's your risk assessment and you think there is no risk then it's up to you. I know ceramic doesn't shatter like glass but when the bowls break they can still have sharp edges. Saying that am sure other rabbit owners cope fine; however do all their rabbits pick up the bowls?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice