Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

"super-sized" Dobermans

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Captain.Charisma, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Captain.Charisma

Captain.Charisma PetForums VIP

I was bored earlyer, and was doing my homework and researching into Dobermans and there characterics (thanks to me considering getting a Doberman in the future) .

Then i decided i might as well look at examples of pups being advertised on the internet.. and i came across a string of sites advertiseing "super-sized" Dobermans, in which many of the male Dobermans they bred often reached around 130 pounds and the bitches often 100pounds... (they all claim there dogs are big thanks to selective breeding, rather than being fat !)..

Two examples sites are

Puppies For Sale

^ one site, that claims that breeding two of its dogs will produce "super-sized pups of 115-135 pounds"...

another site, simular is
    Big Dobermans - Desert Legend Dobermans Contact Information

Just wondered what you guys thought to these super-sized Dobermans, surley theres a catch ? such a health problems ?
    and problems losing characterics of the oringnal Doberman ? if they are soo big they might loose there agility (with your avg Doberman being more like 60-90 pounds)

Also is it moral ? are these sites factory breeding ? or is it just "selective breeding"

Any views ?

oh btw some of the pups for sale are $3000+ ouch !

2. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

I'm guessing you live in the US? Are there no breeders close to you that you could visit? Or a Dobermann rescue organisation?

Personally, I wouldn't touch these with a barge pole... they are taking Paypal payments over the internet :eek:, and I couldn't help but notice that they've had their ears cropped which I think is heinous :mad:

Don't know about super sizing, all sounds a bit McDonalds to me

3. Captain.Charisma

awww, thats sad to hear :(

4. Captain.Charisma

Nahh, i am from the UK mate. I am not going to buy one, i wouldnt want my dog to just be "shipped" to me. But i was just curious to see what people thought of the super-sized Dobermans.

5. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I love dobermans, wonderful breed, go to a reputable breeder if you are still thinking of getting one.

6. Nicci

Nicci Guest

Why not just have a nicely bred Rottweiler if you are looking for a more thickly set dog?

I used to own Dobermans years ago they make lovely companion dogs, great all rounders and extremely intelligent, I couldn't imagine owning one that was oversized though and if I was thinking that way I'd look more into Rottweilers.

7. Nicci

Nicci Guest

I love everything about Dobermans my two were called Zac and Zeetah, Zac was a rescue Doberman who developed Wobblers when he was around 4 years old, we did everything possible for him, numerous operations sadly his body just gave up and it was kinder to have him put to sleep :crying:

I think I have my photo up on here somewhere with my other Doberman Zeetah she passed away shortly after my Daughter was born in 1999.

They are amazing dogs, love everything about them sadly Hubby wanted to try owing something completely different after we lost our Dobes said we would never get two the same again :crying:

8. Yogi B

Yogi B PetForums Member

I think if you check breed history under Karl Frederich Louis Doberman, you will see after his death in 1894, the gentleman in Germany who took over his kennel was alleged to have introduced the Great Dane into the mix which was the start of these oversized or supersized dogs as you put it. This is not an American creation but the breeding of these over sized ones have been going on for over 100 years in Europe as well as anywhere the offspring went.
    Yes, we in fact have many Dobermann rescue organizations through out the US. Every state has them in addition to the national ones.
    Unfortunately, it is safe to assume that Dobermann would never have done this as his was basically a dog in the 60 to 80lbs range where these are just too large.

9. Captain.Charisma

I wont be getting any dog from there, imange getting your dog mail orderd, i would aways want to see if the mother and pups are healthy and well keept with my own eyes 1st.

I just stumbled across the sites when i was bored, i was kinda courious of what other people thought. (My personal view if the dogs are bred in factory like condtions to churn out bigger and stronger pups then its immoral, where as if the dogs are left to there own and bred only when they are ready but just with other dig dobies then that isnt as bad?)

My personal worry of such selective breeding is possible health problems the pups may have ? but if its just like human evolution in which we are getting slowy bigger than maybe this isnt the case ?

10. Captain.Charisma

Intresting point, so it could be that these "super large" Dobermans have had other dogs mixed in the blood line at some point ?

In which case wouldnt the breeders loose some of the Doberman like quailtys and characterics ?

I am sure this type of things is widely done with other breds, such as Pit Pulls in the states (ppl cross breeding them with bigger breds, hopeing to create a ever bigger stronger pit ?)....Or smaller dogs, selectively bred to become "handbag sized"

11. Yogi B

Yogi B PetForums Member

the issue has nothing to do with the "states". As stated, the increase in size of the Doberman was started in Germany after the passing of Herr Doberman when another German took possession of his kennel. It is he that is alleged to have introduced the Great Dane for size and the Manchester Terrier for the slim wedge head shape. Increasing and decreasing for what ever purpose has been going on for centuries. It is not new nor is it a States thing. The original creators through selective breeding took generations to put the correct dogs together to find a size for a purpose. Many breeds have been returned to their original sizes as bred centuries ago whether smaller or larger. Most are in hopes of returning the breed to their once original status. Some breeders (no matter where they are located) are subject to breeding to fill a market for specific sizes. This type of breeding can be found nearly anywhere, granted if FCI registered, they can lose their credibility where with AKC, UKC and CKC, this is not necessarily so. Compliance with breed standards is essential but unfortunately only the FCI out of the primary kennel clubs actually in many not permit registration. Until all countries abide by a set breed standard for each breed, there is always going to be those who will either breed larger or smaller, again it comes down to what people see as fashionable as this is the market that many breeders breed to and for.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice