Super aggressive biting chinchilla

Discussion in 'Chinchillas' started by Petsxoxo, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Petsxoxo

Petsxoxo PetForums Newbie

Hi there.
    I own five chinchillas and all are wonderful except for my grey neutered male, Thomas. He has always been very nippy but has been getting progressively worse. I tap him on the nose, give everyone except him a treat, reward him when he is good etc. He even misses out on playtime when he bites really hard. But the other day he actually attacked my hand and tried to tear my skin. He is neutered but is so aggressive I don't know what to do. He is in a cage with a female but he is always aggressive so I don't think she has any part in it. Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

2. NatashaM

NatashaM PetForums Newbie

The main thing to find out is what is causing the aggression. How long have you had him and when does he bite you? It's worth keeping a recollection of when, where and what you were doing.

Chinchillas are usually gentle creatures, so it's most likely going to be something annoying or scaring him.

It's also worth training him in a positive way: so if you put your hand near him, distract him with a treat or if he doesn't bite you, give him a treat. It will mean he sees your hands as something positive, rather than negative. It's best to ignore them if they bite you or giving them a "time out", responding could make the situation escalate.

I have found chincare (a website) incredibly helpful in understanding my chinchillas, it's worth reading and also implementing some of the techniques they mention.

Let me know how you get on :)

3. Arny

Arny PetForums Junior

First off don't punish him, he doesn't understand that he's doing something "wrong" and will likely make him want to bite you more.

Some males become protective of their cage mate so he may have given himself this job to do. Wear gloves so that way he won't hurt you and you won't retreat and continue putting your hands within the cage, cleaning whatever. He will eventually learn that biting doesn't make you go away and will stop doing it (sort of like a dog barking, they bark at a gate a person walks past, they think great my barking made them leave and continue with the behaviour as it got them the outcome they wanted).