Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

sun protection

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by hayleyb, Jun 24, 2009.

1. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

with the weather gettin warmer sheldon is gonna be out in the garden alot more and for longer.

there is plenty of shade for him but im just wonderin if theres any other precausions i shud take.
    hes a tabby cat with no white at all so shud i still put sun cream on him?

thanx in advance :)

2. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Hiya ... theres no need to put suncream on him :)

3. JoWDC

JoWDC PetForums VIP

How thick is the fur on his ears & nose? If its thin then yes, put it on, if not don't worry. Hope for your sake its the latter as i have fun & games with my two and suncream.

4. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

thanx for replies.
    his fur is alrite maybe near the tops its abit think so i may jst put a tad on. better to be safe than sorry.

is there anyway of coolin him down when he comes in, as the other day he was pantin alot and wudnt drink anythin

5. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

My cats usually find a shady spot in the garden or come inside to my bedroom where the sun never comes in!

Just out of curiosity does he pant alot usually or is it just in really hot weather?

6. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

it was only the day when we were out in the garden. hed been out maybe a little over an hour. and the only other time is while playin with the da bird.
    his paws and ears seemed hotter than the rest so i just dabbed cold water on them.

i also checked the skin on the back of his neck and he wasnt dehydrated

7. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Sorry if I got this wrong but does he pant while playing (with Da Bird for instance?), my kitties usually drink out of the dogs water bowl never their own! they also eat a mix of dry & wet food which has water in it. I was thinking of getting a water fountain for them as they both seem to love to drink from a leaky tap and seem facinated by the shower! It can encourage cats to drink more if you think he would be interested in something like this?

8. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

no thats rite. after about 10 mins of playin with da bird hell be pantin. do you think there cud be somethin wrong?

he does drink plenty, i have looked at the fountains may look more into it goin to p@h 2day so will have a look

9. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

I wouldnt worry however I would get a vet to look him over and check his heart. I only say this because my kitty used to do this all the time at playtime and we never thought much of it but to cut a long story short he has a heart murmur and has been on pills for the last 16 months or so. I'm sorry I hope I havent alarmed you and its probably nothing but since this happened to us I always urge people to get their cats checked over if they pant heavily as its best to know :) I also play with Da Bird with him but only for a couple of minutes at a time as I notice thats when the panting starts, other than that you wouldnt know he has a murmur.

The cheapest places for water fountains are Ebay usually or pet stockists online, they are quite expensive though.

10. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

thankyou dnt worry bout alarmin me. i no when hes been to the vets in the past theyv checked his heart and not said anythin. ill give them a ring and see if theres anythin on his notes and book him in.

its better to be safe than sorry so im grateful that you have told me.

11. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

I just sent you a PM as if you're kitty has been to the vet for neutering etc they would have checked his heart anyway. It is probably the hot weather we are having at the mo :)

12. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

i have jst rang them and she said theres nothin on the screen but has booked us in for a week 2day jst to have another look.

now i jst have to think of a way of gettin him into his carrier without gettin killed in the process lol.

13. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Oh I know what you mean about getting them into the carriers! I often lie awake the night before trying to think of a way of tricking them in there! lol

Im sure he will be fine though :)

14. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

he has been fine until the last time i took him over. it took me and oh to get him in and we both ended up scratched to bits hair flyin all over and in the end had to take the lid off.

he gets in bags fine, wish i cud jst take him in one of them lol

15. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

lol I've often thought about putting a lead and collar on mine! I'm actually looking into getting one of those carriers that open from the top so I can just "drop" him in lol

16. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

the image of you "droppin" him in has jst gone whirling round my head very amusing.
    i have a pop up play house for him which can be zipped up so he cant get out i was considerin that altho not very sturdy hed still be safe.

life wud be easier if hed walk on his lead ha ha

17. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

haha that would be funny! I never mind taking the dog to the vet but the cat is another story! I normally get the vet to put them back in the carrier after, they seem to do it so easily! .....

Oh well I guess I better get on with some housework :( lol

18. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

sheldon doesnt come out the carrier. vet has to remove the lid hehe.

yeah me too whoever came up with housework was a nasty nasty man lol

i will pm you next thurs to let you no how we get on

thanx again for the help :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice