Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Summering up the cat run

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by firstprincess, Apr 22, 2011.

1. firstprincess

firstprincess PetForums Member

My spoilt kitties have a HUGE run attached from our back door and at the other end of that is a summer house with heating and lighting.

As its summer were thinking of ways to improve the run. At the moment its just plain concrete. Was thinking about adding some decking so some areas are higher, some corner planters with herbs, catmint and grass in. A couple of new wooden outdoor cat trees are being made for them, a couple of new plastic shelving units for climbing, lots of new sisal rope inside the summer house, extra shelves in the summer house for snoozing and of course new bowls all round. Ooh and some artificial grass in the run, ooh and possibly a outdoor water fountain ..... would love to add a pond but feel that may be a bit cruel!

Any suggestions welcome :001_smile:

2. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

well ours are getting a run in a couple of weeks. We've ordered a huge assualt course for them but the lady whose OH makes them says she gets a cheap paddling pool puts a little water in it and adds some ping pong balls. She says her bengals and sphynx's love this. I've therefore bought a £3.99 pool for to try it. I saw a video this morning of a rescue that had a dangly toy [not the stick variety the one you hold in your hand] tied to some string suspended from the ceiling. The cats were going mad for this so I'm going to do this as well.

#2 Cazzer, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  3. jenny armour

jenny armour PetForums VIP

first of all are your cats moggies or pedigrees. some cats do quite like water. i have norwegians and they love it. also is your pen on grass? the reason i asked is am having trouble because mine is and one of my cats is pooing on it.
    i am still thinking of things to put in my pen but i have put shelves in from old builders boards.
    i have a summer house in my garden and consider putting it in the pen but one its up a foot step and two and i wouldnt have been able to get around to the other side of the pen to cut the lawn, shame.
    i also have suspended a ladder which i have tied to the roof of the pen, which they quite like. i have also put tree trunks in for them to climb onto to get to the builders boards

4. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

so sounds like Jenny I could be onto a winner with the paddling pool with the Norwegians then, if yours like water!

5. firstprincess

Brilliant ideas! Mine are a mix of moggies and pedigrees, I'm definately gonna try the paddling pool idea!

My run is on concrete, but believe it or not this still causes smelly problems! 4-5 of mine are rescues that were very neglected and mistreated some of them refuse to use a tray whatever i try and 3 of them spray even though they are neutered!

Grrrr! So my run stinks a times! We try and hose it down daily with pet disinfectant.

Were getting artificial grass off ebay cos its really reasonable, easy to clean yet a nice new texture for them to explore. Might be worth you looking for some offcuts to stop your little ones pooping in this area.
    :001_smile::001_smile::001_smile:

6. jenny armour

have you wegies then cazzer?

7. jenny armour

thats sounds a good idea, the grass i have is all weeds anyway, but i assume i will have to dig up the existing grass? could be alot of work?

8. gobubbles

gobubbles PetForums Junior

Wonderful ideas! It'd be great to see some piccies of your amazing runs.

9. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

there was a thread about cat runs a while back and members put up pictures, they were brilliant, i will have to see if i can find it,:),:)

10. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

yes Kyrre silver tabby and white and Kalle blue tabby and white brothers

and Karlo cream tabby and white boy and Kaisa his red silver tabby and white sister

11. jenny armour

yes i remember you putting the pictures up now, beautiful cats but arent they all?
    my jj loves to throw water around the kitchen and in the summer i put a small kitten litter tray out with water in mainly for drinking but it gets patted all over the place. yes i think they love water

12. firstprincess

Jenny.

My friend had her lawn done and they dug off the top surface and inch of soil, filled it with sand. Then they put the artificial grass on and pinned it down with u staples, then brushed in sand over the grass. Looks fab and there dog is normally a little sod for digging and has not managed to lift it.

x

13. firstprincess

I just found a solar powered water feature fountain, gonna get one for the run because they love there water fountains. :001_smile:

14. Wendyj

Wendyj PetForums Junior

Hi Firstprincess, can I ask where you are getting your cat trees made, I've been looking for a more natural looking tree for my ragdolls for months. Found lots in USA but only about two over here - both ok but not what I'm looking for.

Thanks
    Wendy,
    Oscar & Tiger

15. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice