Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Summer is finally here! Add your pics :)

Discussion in 'Wildlife Gallery' started by NaomiM, Jun 2, 2013.

1. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

Hi, I don't very often post in this section but I've been 'lurking' and reading the posts and admiring everyone's photos! I wanted to take some pics to add to the spring thread, but as it's now technically summer and I've only just remembered to take my camera with me when I'm out and about, I thought I'd better start a new thread!

Anyway, I'll start it off with a few photos of flowers I've seen just growing on grass verges or in the cracks between paving stones - it's amazing what variety there is, even in the city streets! (Apologies, I'm neither botanist nor photographer, so they're not the best snaps and I don't know all the names!)

The first two were on the grass verge just outside my block of flats. The first is speedwell I think, and not sure what the second one is - maybe someone could ID for me? The third photo is my favourite - heartsease, just growing out of a patch of bare earth by the side of the road. Much prettier than its cultivated cousins, IMO! :)

I'd love it if everyone else added some photos too - I've very much enjoyed looking at the spring ones :)

Attached Files:

• 024.JPG
      024.JPG
      File size:
      291.4 KB
      Views:
    • 021.JPG
      021.JPG
      File size:
      227.9 KB
      Views:
    • 020.JPG
      020.JPG
      File size:
      291.2 KB
      Views:
  2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

3. NaomiM

Thanks, that had been bugging me! :)

4. NaomiM

Took my one-year-old for a walk in our local wildlife reserve today. Unfortunately my camera batteries ran out after the first 20 minutes :mad: but I did get a couple of photos, though there were loads more I'd have liked to have taken!

#1 is a vetch - birds' foot trefoil I think, after googling it!
    #2 is an orange-tip butterfly
    #3 is a couple of damselflies, who seem to be making the most of the nice weather! :eek:

Attached Files:

5. rona

Arghhh took me 3 years to get a picture of an Orange Tip........never seemed to see one land for more than seconds :rolleyes:

Well done

By the way, summer doesn't start until the 21st ;) Also the Elderflower aren't out and they herald natures start of summer :001_tt2: :D

6. NaomiM

Lol, that's why my camera batteries died - chasing the orange-tip around trying to get a better picture!

And I stand corrected, though it is certainly starting to feel more summery now. Mind you, we didn't really get much of a spring, did we!

7. rona

Apart from being a wee bit cold, I thought the spring had been quite good, it's made everything lush anyway :)

8. DT

DT Banned

Wonder how many more days sunshine we'll get before they declare a water shortage and a hopepipe ban?;)

9. IrishEyes

IrishEyes PetForums VIP

Do these count?!

Attached Files:

#9 IrishEyes, Jun 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  10. NaomiM

Is #4 elderflower by any chance? ;) (Please forgive my ignorance!)

11. IrishEyes

IrishEyes PetForums VIP

It's not elderflower but I can't tell you what it is... I have no idea!

12. rona

Looks like Guelder Rose :)

Not ignorance just lack of knowledge, looks like you will be working on that!

13. NaomiM

Yes I'm learning as I go along :) I've been taking loads of photos and then googling them afterwards to try to ID them :) I know most of the things I'm photographing are pretty common, but I just take photos of things that I think are beautiful!

Another couple of contributions from my walk yesterday in a country park. Hawthorn blossom and yellow flag iris, I think! Plus a family of ducks, and another damselfly who posed on the chair next to me while we were having lunch at a garden centre cafe :)

Attached Files:

14. rona

Be careful that's how I started and I'm now running out of computer space and having to buy more storage :eek: :eek:
    I've got loads of insects that I've no idea what they are! When I'm old and can no longer get out there, it will be nice to while away the hours looking them all up :D
    I also take a few videos, some just for sound to listen too when I'm old and greyer :D Took one at the weekend of a Cuckoo loosing his voice :lol:

15. NaomiM

Lol, now that I'd like to hear! :laugh:

16. rona

Only managed to get one cuckoo before he flew off
    [​IMG]

17. NaomiM

How do you get such a sharp focus on such tiny details, Calinyx? Mine are always blurred when I use my zoom lens for close-ups. (Of course, it may just be that my camera is rubbish!)

18. Calinyx

Calinyx PetForums VIP

Thank you :)

I have a panasonic fz45 bridge camera that i love to bits.:D It has a super macro setting that i use a great deal. Also the fantastic light that we've had recently have made a great difference to the clarity and sharpness of photos.

I've just returned from a 4 night stay in Yorkshire and took over 600 photos :eek:: . I've been good though and only put 60 onto Flickr!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice