Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Summer Heat

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by mr.stitches, Jun 29, 2009.

1. mr.stitches

mr.stitches PetForums VIP

Hi All

This is our first summer with a dog, and were just wondering how you all keep your dogs cool.

Pip isnt keen on going in water but we thought maybe a paddling pool in the garden to get her used to it! Iv been walking her in the mornings earlier and then in the evenings, as the usual time we walk is far too hot at the moment. She is pooped even just being in the house!

Thanks

2. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Mine just got a refreshing cold water bath as they had rolled in poop and the hot water boiler is broken!!LOL

3. mr.stitches

Hehe, at least its summer! Hot water boiler must be having a break!

4. rona

rona Guest

I've got a giant 16inch fan, and it's on from about noon every day

5. mr.stitches

Pippin would get blown away!

Just seen the post about keeping children inside due to the heat...should be fun at work this week!

6. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

Two ceramic water bowls, one inside, one in the garden in the shade. Topped up/changed continually. Occasional icecube. A damp towel draped over his back, he won't keep that on for long though.

Monty doesn't like going in water either but even he will paddle when we are out on a walk if he is hot.

I'm lucky that my kitchen stays cool most of the day so I know he has at least one room that he is comfortable in.

He likes to nap on my sun lounger out in the garden, I've started putting the umbrella up to give him shade, pampered or what? :D

7. rona

rona Guest

:laugh::laugh:
    It's got different settings

8. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

I keep the curtains closed and windows open,i had visitors at the weekend who said how cool the house was.

9. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

Bramble seems to like laying in the shade in the conservatory, the floor is tiled, i think it must be cooler. Lots of water, and the occaisional ice cube seems to be going down well. I try no to get him too excited when he's in the garden either.

10. cdcclub

cdcclub PetForums Member

I keep a fan on constantly, ice cubes in the water dish and use the kids paddling pool.

Luckily in our house the kitchen is always cold as the sun doesnt get round to that side till late on so my girl lies on the cool tiles.

In the livingroom I keep the windows open and the blinds shut, due to the fact the blinds reflect the sun back out we dont get overly warm in there either.

added bonus we live in Scotland so heat is a rare occasion anyway;)

11. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

They know how to keep cool, As long as you leave the door open for them to go in and out, and there is lots of shade, they will be fine. Although if the panting does get heavy, i usually hold them on the lead and wash them with cool water from the hose. Which they do not appreciate! :D

12. Sophiex

Sophiex PetForums VIP

I make sure he drinks regularly. He has his own mug and I fill it with cold water and he gets excited, thinking it's a human mug and assuming it's a naughty treat, :wink5: and laps it up.

We haven't got a paddling pool because my mum doesn't want him getting wet and running in the house, which is fair enough. We have ALL windows open, back door is open for him to go in and out as he pleases. Mostly, he's been passing out on the kitchen floor because it's nice and cool. :)

I think I'm gonna get the hose out this weekend so Oscar and I can play in the sprinkler together! :p

13. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Last year at the times one of ours were layed down i used to put a wet towel on the floor for him to lay on dogs can cool down much easier if their tummies are layed on something cool we used to have a fan positioned on to him too.

14. genna ann

genna ann PetForums Member

I'm a vet.

I had my first heatstroke of the summer today, i'm sure it wont be the last.

This was an oldish newfie, the owner walked it for just 15 minutes in the height of the heat, the dog collapsed.

Its core temp on admission was nearly 105F, that enough to kill.

Please done walk your dogs in the heat, please dont leave them in hot cars, please make sure they dont lie out in the sun ( my lulu will do that till she almost cant breath, i have to keep her in cos shes a bit dumb and cant self regulate)

Heatstroke or heat exhaustion kills within minutes.

My little newfie at work will make it, we brought his temp down gradually with cool water, wet towels and meds.

PLease dont have ur heart broken in this way,

be vigilant, if your hot and sticky imagine how that might feel wearing a fur coat.

Take care of yourslelves and your fur babies xxxxx

15. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Oh no you must see it all, we used wet towels and fans as our dog last year had an enlarged heart/congestive heart failure, it was a nighmare/nerveracking time we couldnt hose him down with cold water the shock would have killed him, yet our vet said not to let him get too hot. when he panted heavy, well heavier than usual i used to think he would never recover, thought about him today if he was here now with this heat he would never have stood it

16. ~Tete

~Tete PetForums Member

1 - a £2.99 paddling pool from argos :D
    2 - an ice cube in her water
    3 - A water spray bottle and the fan on, at the same time :)
    4 - Walkies at the canal, shady and theres water from swimming
    5 - we walk her early morning and late at night with 5 10 min walks through the day (short walks more often throught he hottest part of the day)

17. mr.stitches

lol!

we will have to try a fan, dont think she has seen one before

18. Sophiex

Sophiex PetForums VIP

^^ I think mine would yap at a fan!

19. Sari

Sari PetForums Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice