Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Summer bites?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Helbo, May 2, 2011.

1. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

Hi Everyone,

This isn't a major problem but i would like your opinion anyway.

In the past few weeks, when the sunshine started and we started going to the beach more and I started sitting in the garden more with Charlie happily sunbathing on the grass, Charlie has developed a few red spots.

They're no bigger than the size of my pinky fingerprint, but he scratches and nibbles them so they obviously itch sometimes (usually in the evening, they don't seem to bother him during the day...). I try to stop him chewing them but he's made a couple bleed and I've put cream on them right away - luckily when I do he stops licking at them. Then they scab and go away within a few days or the ones he hasn't bitten just go down naturally.

Are they heat spots? Could he be being bitten by ants or something whilst lying in the grass? what could i do about it? any advice appreciated.

They tend to be only on his legs and feet.

note: Just to avoid confusion - he hasn't got fleas or anything else crawling on him and theres been no change in food, washing powder, or my own soap in the last few weeks. No change in his soap either - we bathed him last night but before that his last soaking would have been over a month ago - both times only bathed because he rolled in something yucky!! Theres also no chemicals on my grass.

2. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

Does sound a little like ant bites to me but someone else might have a better idea.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice