Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Suitable housing for rabbits

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Nina, Nov 13, 2007.

1. cavy_gal

cavy_gal Banned

I'm not sure what I was disagreeing on either to be honest :confused:

So be it, they may live better with a group or at least one other rabbit but try telling my rabbit that. He's the worst pet I've ever owned. I'm scared of him, seriously I am, I know how stupid that sounds but I can't feel confident around him until I have to cut his claws and clean around his bottom and tail, because I can have him on his back and he's relaxed. And meh, Clymo's lived outside for almost 6 yrs and has never been in a garage or shed or even sheltered round the side of the house, he's always been at the side of fence near the patio door. They have fur coats to keep them warm, plus if fed enough hay, fruits and veg and their dry mix, and have plenty of bedding to cuddle up in, they'll be perfectly fine.

Hmmmm... I've had family friends getting rabbits for their children, only for the child to become bored and neglect the rabbit because they've been bitten or scratched or kicked while trying to hold them correctly. You see, some children are all "fingers and thumbs" when it comes to animals and with rabbits being very flighty, well, I wouldn't be eagerly suggesting a rabbit as a pet for a child. It's not ideal in my eyes. I wasn't even really a child when I got Clymo, but something about rabbits just tells me they're not good pets if you think that a child will be all over the rabbit, pulling at it, poking it, wanting to hold it and cuddle it and rabbits just don't like being held and cuddled. Sorry, just info I've picked up and experience I've had growing up...

2. -ange-

-ange- PetForums Newbie

The thing is with rabbits is that they are as scared as you as you are of them! They can sense it like all animals.
    And as for good pets for children, no some breeds are not good child friendly pets as they are far to big. I have mini lops and netherland dwarfs mainly and they are small and the nethies are so child friendly my 2 year old can pick them up.

The thing is with rabbits no one ever picks up a rabbit the right way - and so they won't like being cuddles or handled. And it all takes time and trust to do it properly.

As a parent I know which of my children would get bored with any of our pets and so she doesn't have a pet, and never asked about any of them or wants to help with them, and she is 6! As for my other 3 children they just couldn't do enough for the animals.
    Ok they are not perfect and do forget something some times but hey they're kids! That's life. A hint in the right direction and a helping hand from me and it's done. And no shouting or tears.

It is sad to know you are frightened of your rabbit. I do have 1 that the kids have to be aware of but he's good 70% of the time. I am in to showing and breeding and I won't be breeding from him due to his temperment. I only breed from the good temperment ones, no matter how good his coat and body is.
    Who ever breed your rabbit didn't think about temperment when they breed the parents, sadly.

3. cavy_gal

cavy_gal Banned

My rabbit is a ND mix with something I think a little bigger because he's slightly bigger than a ND, but has most features of one, so he's pretty easy to hold, when he doesn't thump me in the chest/tummy area when held and doesn't try to dart over my shoulder. I'm not overly scared of him, I get more frustrated than scared. It's just I'm worried he'll really hurt me or really hurt himself whilst showing off.

Well, I know rabbits aren't fond of being cuddled, its not something I do very often with my little one, just depends on what his mood is when I go see him. Since I got him in 2002, I think I only properly liked him the first 6 months, and would cuddle him a lot. Shame really, you'd look at him and melt inside, he's so adorable to look at, which is hard because I don't like getting angry about the way he acts sometimes. I lose my temper and shout at him, I know he doesn't understand, but then I look at him and end up crying because he's so so cute, he's just a little brat to me all the time.

I don't believe who their parents are would alter their temperament. I got my rabbit from a Pet Centre at my local garden centre. Not sure who breeds them but I would imagine its one of the staff members there, considering the excellent reputation they have, they wouldn't delve into dodgey back-alley breeding with their animals there. Although, like I said, I was able to hold him and cuddle him for a while, then he turned gradually.

I want to adopt a female to let him have at least some sort of companionship with another being, because at the moment, he has virtually none and its not fair to begrudge him a companion and begrudge him being a happy rabbit. I have the time to introduce them, the space if it fails and the love for my rabbit to do the best for him and also help out another little one that needs a home. I wouldn't be doing it out of ignorance thinking he'll be friends with any rabbit, I know the risks that would lie ahead if I thought that way. Luckily, the little guy has a two tier hutch, all I'd need to do is fasten the ramp on the ceiling of the bottom tier (it has a handy locking system fitted in) and if the two don't get alone (i.e. my rabbit doesn't wish to have a girlfriend lol) then they can have a tier each until I can accomodate the female properly with her own hutch. My dad isn't 100% keen on any of my pets apart from the dog, so getting him to agree to another animal would be hard. I'm looking for females at rescues but travel would be difficult as I don't drive and don't have support from my dad, so getting a female from the centre I got my guy from is the only option I have, which is a real shame because I'd rather rescue, sod's law really.

Also, sorry for the rambling and rather large post :eek:

4. -ange-

-ange- PetForums Newbie

Just a little tip when you hold your rabbit -

If he does try the jump over your shoulder or thump your chest, put your hand over his eyes! Works everytime here, it calms them down. Give it a try.

If you plan on getting a girlfriend for him, then get him neutered now and then wait you may find that he calms down to how he used to be and then you won't have to get him a girlfriend as you will spend more time with him. And well it would keep your dad happy too, not having another pet.

The first 6 months he was a baby and he changed because he matured. 1 of my bucks was like that and he's going to be neutered soon.

Glad you want the best for your rabbit.

5. cavy_gal

cavy_gal Banned

Oh, if I need to move him, I hold him with his back against my chest and hold his paws with my hands. Its a lot safer to carry a rabbit that way, for both the rabbit and yourself.

He's already been neutured. He was becoming aggressive and when in the vets getting his first yearly jab for Myxomatosis as a little'n, the vet advised getting him done would curb any aggression he seemed to have developed. That wasn't 100% successful because he has not changed what-so-ever and even moodier.

Getting a female sounds really selfish on my behalf because I would be putting her through something she'd not understand and my rabbit would be upset over it with some new "li'l miss" in his way lol. He can't even be in the same room as my dog without chasing him or teasing him and my dog is a medium sized terrier and you'd think a rabbit would be an easy kill for him... :rolleyes:

It's quite sad that he can't physically tell me what would benefit him. If I left him well alone, he won't get used to me HAVING to interact with him somehow. Its just tiring and frustrating and I'm out of ideas.

6. -ange-

-ange- PetForums Newbie

I really don't know what to say unless you get him loads of toys to keep him busy.

7. cavy_gal

cavy_gal Banned

He has toys too.... lol

8. -ange-

-ange- PetForums Newbie

Well I think you are just going to have to face it and live with a grumpy bunny. We all have 1 at some point that we just can't help.

9. cavy_gal

cavy_gal Banned

I know, he's been this way for 5 yrs so I'm used to it now

10. garryd

garryd Guest

hello chavy_gal ! i thought you just let them live inside your house running wild and pis*ing And Sh*ting everwhere:confused::D

11. cavy_gal

cavy_gal Banned

My pets who SHOULD be caged, are caged, thank you very much. If they're running about the house (which is always supervised), and make a mess, I use a product called "Keep It Clean" which removes bad smell and disinfects the mess. Any other problems you want to take up with me, keep it in a PM or keep it to yourself.

Also, my user name is CAVY_gal! There is NO "H" in my user name! Stop trying to get a reaction from me because I'm fed up to the back bloody teeth of people trying my patience in my family and where I live, I do not wish to get the same from people who are cowards, throwing their voices behind a computer!

12. AJ

AJ Guest

I built my own hutch and run at our old house for our rabbit bailey because I just dont think the ones for sale are anywhere near big enough. We only had a smallish garden and he got quarter of the garden and half my shed to live in. I'm going to start building him a new home for the summer soon but he's inside at the moment, we have the biggest indoor cage we could find but again I dont think its big enough so he goes outside most of the day and just comes in when it gets cold and dark!

In reply to Nina's comments some time ago about the RSPCA not doing anything it doesn't surprise me at all. The only word for the RSPCA is useless. The Animal Shelter at Chesterfield had 7-8 bunnies in a run about 1 metre by 1 metre the last time we were there.

13. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Sadly I think the RSPCA are somewhat tied by legislation, but they could and should do more.

It appears that animal cruelty is alive and well, so it is up to us as caring people to report it.

I am constantly walking past pet shops to see these tiny hutches on sale, some of which are outside of large well known pet superstores. While they remain legal, manufacturers will still make them, and people will still buy them.

14. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

Just seen this.......:D:D

15. swinnk8

swinnk8 PetForums Junior

I have recued quite a few rabbits and guinea pigs from poor petshop conditions. I was a pet care consultant/supervisor. I am certified in pet care management under the Pet Care Trust in Bedfordshire, and never let any rabbit or any other pet under my care, live in the conditions that i have seen in the UK.
    The rabbits that i have rescued have mainly had teeth and diet problems as well as living in filthy conditions and cramped up in cages where they can only just about hop to the other side. I could never do that to my animals. When i was in a house with a garden, my rabbits lived in 6x4 ft sheds. The continental giant had a whole shed with the newzealand white friend with a ramp that i built in. They had no hutch. They also had the run of the garden daily when i was there and would run in and out the house. All the rabbits and guinea pigs had their turns to run around the whole garden and were trained to go back into the sheds at bedtime/meal times.

It is about time the RSPCA practiced what they preached. They could do a hell of a lot better.

16. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

I have been emailing round some of the online pet shops and had quiet a mixed response, some say they are having problems sourcing good quality hutches that meet rspca standards and other are just rude and ignorant. a little positivity has been great tho made me feel like I wasnt wasting my time

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice