Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Suitable diet for Cat with no teeth.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Canerra, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Canerra

Canerra PetForums Junior

Last August 2016 my Cat Minnie had to get all of her teeth removed due to a bad virus that was in her gums. She had suffered with pain for months before this so it was the only option.
    As of the hours after her procedure she was back to her happy healthy self, eating again just 2 hours after her major operation!
    Since August we have kept her on an all wet food diet but now that she no longer has any pain while eating she LOVES food and she has been getting a bit fat. She is 12 years old in April and weighs 4.7kg. It's been over 6 months since her operation.
    If anyone out there has been in a similar situation and has introduced hard food to their cats diet of a cat with no teeth I would love to hear from you.
    Before she had any gum problems ever she usually only ate dry food with wet food once a day or so.

Thanks in advance :)

2. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I've had two cats with no teeth and they used to eat both wet and dry food just the same as any other cat. Once teeth are removed, gums harden so they are able to tolerate dry food. Wet would be better though than feeding mostly dry.

Lilylass and Canerra like this.
  3. Canerra

Canerra PetForums Junior

Thanks :) I would be only giving her dry food for during the night or if I was to leave the house for a while, just incase she got hungry but otherwise I would keep her on a wet food diet for the morning and evening :)

4. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

Better to use a timed feeder than to give her dry food, you can get them to feed several times a day or just a couple. I have one that dispenses several meals (they can be smaller and often) and has a voice thingy that will call the cat.

lorilu, Lilylass and Canerra like this.
  5. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

I would always suggest wet food over dry. She will adapt. There is a great thread on cat nutrition about low carb and sugar foods. It lists all the decent brands( so far) and you can decide if you want to invest in one. Glad she bounced back x

lorilu and Canerra like this.
  6. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

Why does she need to eat during the night. If you are trying to get her to loose a little weight, she doesn't really need to graze.

Only one of mine has access to food during the night.

Torin. likes this.
  7. Canerra

Canerra PetForums Junior

I'm not trying to get her to loose weight as she is at a healthy weight for her age and breed. I was only wondering how I could add hard food to her diet for in-between meals because of her having no teeth.

8. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

Sorry my mistake you said she was getting a "bit fat'.

My Cookie had most of her teeth removed and she has no problem eating exactly what she wants. Diet is 90% raw, but will happily eat wet and dry food, in fact she will hoover everything available.

Torin. and Canerra like this.
  9. Canerra

Canerra PetForums Junior

No worries :) It's interesting learning of the different diets!

10. Canerra

Canerra PetForums Junior

what feeder have you got or that you would recommend?

11. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

Canerra likes this.
  12. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

She doesn't need to eat "between meals". Three meals a day of wet food will be fine for her. And the feeder can be for when you aren't going to be there for one of those meals. Use it in advance now and then to make sure she is used to it of course.

Glad she is feeling so much better. Make sure to play interactive Games with her on a daily basis, getting her running, leaping, climbing and jumping. That, along with the healthy wet diet, will keep her fit.

Canerra likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice