Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Suitable companion for Springer?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ChatterPuss, Apr 29, 2011.

1. ChatterPuss

ChatterPuss PetForums VIP

I have a 6 month old lively
    Liver and white male English Springer pup and am thinking of getting a companion for him after our hols in august when he is around 10-12 months old. I did like the Welsh springer but have been advised against them, and my husband and daughter think they look like a beagle which has put me off (nothing against beagles- just not for me).
    I also like the black and white springer but although my husband likes them too, has suggested getting something different but not sure what?
    Does any have suggestions of a suitable medium sized companion???

2. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

No use asking me, cos our plan was get another springer, in September (when our first would have been 14 months), well our second springer arrived in January, when he was 5 months!

3. ChatterPuss

Your plans sound like mine and change regularly at short notice!

4. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

I have to say it is the best thing we have ever done, (kids excepting almost of course!!), they love each other, she was 9 months when we got her and part trained gun dog, so we didnt have the early puppy stage and naughtiness affecting our other young dog, it actually helped him. I wouldnt have taken on a very small pup so quickly, hence us thinking to wait till later, but she came up when we were chatting to the breeder and she just fits with us!

I have to say my springers really like other springers, so for us the choice was when to get another springer, not what sort of second dog should we get.

5. ChatterPuss

We will probably end up getting another springer ourselves, but wanted to weigh up all other options first. How do you get on with a part-trained gun dog - is she very hyperactive as we have been advised to steer clear of working lines and go for show / pet lines as they are thought to be calmer ??? I have seen some gorgeous working springer pups but have steered clear thinking they would be too lively as a pet as I am not home all the time and work !

6. SophieCyde

SophieCyde PetForums VIP

my mums boss has a springer and a cocker and they are good together :)

Lovely dogs too ;)

7. WeimyLady

WeimyLady PetForums Senior

I would never ever add another puppy when the exsisting dog is under a year old. Especially with a breed like a Springer Spaniel.

You will get people providing you acedotal evidence on how well it has worked for them, but it isn't recommended practice for a whole number of reasons.

Wait until your dog is fully matured (2 or more years of age) and fully trained.

8. ChatterPuss

Thanks - I had wondered about a cocker though don't think hubby is too keen - are they calmer than a springer?

9. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I agree with WeimyLady. I have a cocker and he's only just grown up mentally at 3 years of age. I wouldn't have dreamt of getting another dog whilst he was going through his difficult teenage phase.

I would recommend waiting until at least 18 months and if you feel that your current dog is mature mentally, then consider getting another dog. At the moment, you have no idea at 6 months old if he'll have a teenage phase or not, and getting another pup at this age is asking for trouble. :(

10. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

My first two were straight from the farm, working stock in the Welsh hills, calmest dogs ever. The current two are pet bred and 10 times more lively!

Lots of pictures in my albums-the two black and White are the pups, the liver is nearly 8 and the most fabulous dog. :)

11. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

Both of ours are from working gun dog/field trial lines and are pretty calm indoors, the get around an hour exercise twice a day.

I would not consider a puppy whilst your springer is so young, you really need to wait and see what happens in any teenage phase, our younger one (the one we had first), had a bit of a rebellion with recall which started at 6 months and lasted only about 3 weeks or so, we are not sure if the addition of the part trained gundog the week or so after his recall went a bit dodgy was the reason it only lasted such a short while, but because she was recall perfect and ball obsessed this has really focussed our younger one.

So in our case it was the right second dog becoming available that made it work so soon, we also had support from the breeder who would have worked closely with us as a trainer to help with our younger one should his recall problem have in some way pulled her behavour down, so we were not alone and both dogs were having other training also from a primarily pet based trainer.

We would have made sure our younger dog was well and truly on a more adult track if we were bringing in a younger dog though, and so i think the timing is as critical as the choice of dog.

12. ChatterPuss

Thanks everyone for all the advice. - don't intend getting another dog just yet. I had planned on waiting until he was at least 12 months old as we are due to go away when he is 10months old so wouldn't be fair anyway before then ! He is generally well behaved at the moment
    and although he walks well with us off lead we do have to work on his recall when there are distractions and on his heel walking. Other than that he is very well behaved! It is interesting to here that working springers are calmer that pets!!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice