Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Suggestions please.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Sky11, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Sky11

Sky11 PetForums Newbie

Hello... I need some advice with my puppy training.
    My gorgeous girl is now 15 weeks old and is such a joy to own. She has been so easy to train regards to toilet training, sitting, paw and no.
    When we have visitors she will sit calmly by them for attention, however when I take her out off the leash she runs to strangers and jumps all over them and will take a few nos and calls to get her to come back.
    I have tried using treats to get her attention but this doesn't seem to work if there's lots of people around but will if there's no one around.
    Any tips would be greatly appreciated

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

It sounds like she gets so over excited and hyper she just becomes deaf to eveything else but the job in hand, which isnt unusual for pups this age. proplem is the more she does it and its successful it becomes a learned behaviour and ingrained.

While you are teaching recall and focus and getting her to pay attention to you, for now I would keep her on an extendable lead (The wide webbing all the way through ones as the cord ones can be dangerous) or get yourself a long line. This way you have a break to stop her.

Start teaching her at home indoors, you could try a whistle that seems to penetrate their brains more especially as she has become deaf to calling so its a new start and a new method. Walk around with treats and everytime you blow the whistle immediately treat. She should follow you around. Cheese,chicken,hot dogs, sausages are usually good just keep these for recall
    liver based stuff is usually good too. Once you have had a few sessions of this. Then try using it to call her in from the garden when she is sniffing about. Stand by the back door and whistle and treat when she comes. Next after you have done this a few times, then try it from inside the house. If this become reliable, then try it outside on the extendable or long line.
    Start in areas that have fewer distractions at first. Keep calling her back at intervals, treat her, then send her away again with go play. Sometimes when she comes back throw a ball a few times, before sending her off with go play.
    another time, have a tug game. Dont run after her, whistle and run in the other direction she should chase after you, another game as a reward and a way to get her to come. Other times you can hide behind a tree, and whistle treating when she finds you. Vary it, send her away again each time with the go play.

In this way you should keep her focus on you. It keeps her guessing as to what reward she is going to get for coming back. it also teaches coming doesnt mean end of walk, so again keeps her guessing. Never take her somewhere, let her off and then just recall at the end and take her home.
    They get wise to it. Once you have done this reliably you can then try in busier areas with more distractions, when thats a success, then you can try letting her off. Try it first with leaving the long line on but using it as a drag line, she will think she is still attached. Then you can let her off completely once that all goes well.

Hope this might help.

3. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

Please watch out with whistles when you're standing next to someone, I had my left ear just about blown out by a lady getting her dog's attention when it was only 10 feet away!

Luckily my dog seemed unaffected, being behind us and at a lower level. Whistles can be very loud!

I'll add, teach a polite greeting behaviour that's incompatible with jumping up, like sitting and then being rewarded by a greeting, any other excited behaviour like trying to jump and remove. Meet lots of ppl so it gets run of the mill, then go places with do where they'll mostly ignore her cause they're busy, just help breack the greet-reward cycle.

To stop jumping up, I had to use a taught "Off!" command, and recall the dog to me, getting cooperation from even other dog walkers was tricky, some of them I think like getting to be undisciplined with someone elses dog and not having to worry about the fallout. On a wet muddy day though, the same ppl would often be the ones to grouse about it! :eek:

#3 RobD-BCactive, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  4. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I'd try using a long line to prevent her running to people, and its also successful if she starts running to other dogs too. It allows her freedom, but it means that she can not get to people/dogs if you have hold of the line. This habit must be stopped completely and the more she does this behaviour, the worse it will be to break it. Use the long line to physically prevent her from reaching other people. And then use your recall command and plenty of praise and treats when she returns. Over time, you will be able to get her back with just your voice commands and not having to rely on her being physically stopped by the line. And then you can let the long line trail along the ground, and then you can gradually start to remove it altogether.

5. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Some great advice already, also taking her to training classes would be a great idea :)

Just something to consider :thumbup:

6. Sky11

Sky11 PetForums Newbie

Thank you all for your info.... I will be putting ur advice in to action with immediate effect and will get a long line.
    Many thanks for your replies:)
    S

7. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Good luck :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice