Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Suggestions please for a natural calming product

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Rosie64, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Rosie64

Rosie64 PetForums VIP

I am looking for a natural calming product for Chip.
    Chip is a noisy nightmare when he is taken any where in the car, he will NOT settle and
    whines , cries , howls and makes all sorts of other noises constantly for the whole journey
    no matter how long or short it is .
    I don't know for sure but I think it may be an association thing with the vet's and being left ,
    because the only places he has ever been in the car is to the vets.
    I want to start taking him to nice places in the car so he can see that nice things can happen
    when he goes in it , but my 2 son's don't like taking him because of the constant noise, they
    say it is too distracting.
    I was thinking if I could find something to calm him a little it may be enough to stop him being
    so vocal and my boys will be willing to take him places and break the association with the vet's
    and the car.
    I have tried Adaptil collar and spray , they didn't work so any suggestions for what I can try
    will be very gratefully received
    Thank you in advance

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I like Rescue Remedy for pets. It greatly helps for my cat who has fear aggression at the vet (vet wants to drug her but I refused). I also take it myself. (they do make a human version but it has alcohol in it. A lot)

Rosie64 and ForestWomble like this.
  3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

If one of your sons would be prepared to visit every day for a while you could put him in the car for a short while with the engine turned off, and lots of toys and treats. Gradually build up so that the engine can be started but does not go anywhere , then build up to moving a short way. Walk him to the end of the road then put him in the car for a run back home etc etc. Far better than trying dull his senses - make going in the car a pleasure.

4. Rosie64

Rosie64 PetForums VIP

Thank you

5. Rosie64

Rosie64 PetForums VIP

Thank you
    I have been doing this for at least 18 months , he will get in the car no problem , he will sit / lie down quietly with or without engine running no problem
    with me in the back with him or me in the front him in the back no problem.
    But the minute you shut the door he starts , he is never AS bad on return journeys just whimpers a little but still does not settle.
    I don't want to dull his senses just calm him a little so that he can go in the car to enjoyable places.

6. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

There's a lot of calming stuff available but it's quite hit and miss as to whether it works (as you found with Adaptil). There's Pet Remedy which is similar to adaptil but a different concoction that you spray onto bedding or a bandana or something. Then you have tablets like Calmex, or other natural stuff like Skullcap and Valerian. Dorwest do Skullcap and Valerian tablets plus a Valerian dropper that you put onto bedding - I'd probably try that combo as my first attempt. You generally need to have them take the tablets for a while before the event so it has a chance to get to work.

Rosie64 and Magyarmum like this.
  7. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

I agree with Rescue Remedy for Pets.

Obviously you know Chip, Bungo is the same in the car (though he only starts making a racket when the car slows / stops), but are you sure it's not excitement?

Rosie64 likes this.
  8. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I had the same problem with Georgina associating travelling in the car with visits to the vet. I found Dorwest Skullcap and Valerian to be the most effective for her. Their Valerian compound I also used but only when she was very distressed as it made her sleepy.

https://www.dorwest.com/

Rosie64 likes this.
  9. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Have a look at the Doreen Paige 'remedies' I've used quite a few of them with good results and they are not expensive. The other thing you could try is a Thundershirt (comfort wrap). Before spending money though first buy a wide crepe bandage then have a look on YouTube to see how to wrap Chip in it. If you think it helps then it may well be worth purchasing a Thundershirt.

Rosie64 likes this.
  10. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Sometimes a covered crate works?

Rosie64 likes this.
  11. Taz69

Taz69 PetForums Junior

How about buying your sons ear plugs and trying many short journeys to local parks or other pleasant drives for Chip. :p

12. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I know you don’t want to “dull his senses” but here’s a little scenario for you -
    Freddie my arab - a highly strung breed. Cool as a cucumber mostly.
    Fireworks - dreadful. Everyone advised leave him out. Stabled he can harm himself.
    He ran around frantically and I was worried sick.
    Gave him some natra calm, stabled him and sat with him. He chilled out.
    From that day onward his stable was his safe haven. Where he was most relaxed.
    Future years, no natra calm, fireworks going off all round never bothered him.

Farmer put some bullocks in a field across the valley from his. Stressed from market. Freddie was a nightmare.
    Wouldn’t settle even when they did. The sight of them set him off daily. Enter small dose natra calm. Popped him back in his field. One very confused animal. Knew he should be stressed but couldn’t be bothered :).

You may find dulling his senses a couple of times paves the way forward. Not enough to knock him out but to stop stressing and realise there’s nothing to fear.

Rosie64 likes this.
  13. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

We use Rescue Remedy for Lucy and it has helped her relax .... although we buy the human version. Yes it does have grape alcohol in it but our vet actually suggested it and told us not to bother with the pet version as it's reported to not be as good - and before there was a pet version, everyone use the human version anyway!

Lucy has been having it for well over a year now, if not 2 years and she is absolutely fine. She has regular blood tests (due to her age and when she is on meds) and no issues from her having it.

Rosie64, HarlequinCat and Mum2Heidi like this.
  14. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Agree with WestieMum re the alcohol content and not using the canine version.
    I’ve taken flower remedies occasionally. Yes, you can definitely tell they’re alcohol based but I’ve never felt any effect;).
    I gave Heidi the crab apple remedy most of last summer after hearing it helped an itchy dog. Did her no harm. She hasn’t had any this year or itched at all.:)

Westie Mum and Rosie64 like this.
  15. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

Pooch & Mutt Calming bickie treats.
    I have a small unopened tub of Dorwest Scullcap & Valerian if you want them Rosie? Got them for young Emma but never needed them on Firework night after all.
    Can put them in post for you if you PM me your address?

Rosie64 likes this.
  16. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

I have some Pooch and Mutt calming grain free biscuits that Bungo can't eat, if you'd like the (unopened) packet please PM me and I'll send them to you.

DaisyBluebell and Rosie64 like this.
  17. Rosie64

Rosie64 PetForums VIP

Thank you EVERYONE for your help and recommendations

Thank you
    To be honest I am not sure of anything , it could possibly be excitement but if it is it is extreme

Thank you
    I have a Thundershirt already I use it when fireworks are going off and it does help a little ,I am an idiot I never thought of using it in the car , will give it a try

Thankyou
    I have tried that and he is even worse

Thankyou
    Lol I did actually suggest that as a sort of serious joke but they didn't like the idea much :rolleyes::D

Thank you
    Put like that in that scenario it doesn't sound like a bad idea , but would still rather try and do it another way if possible

Thank you very much for the very kind offer but Chip can't / won't eat them either, where his teeth don't line up properly he has a job biting hard things
    I did have some for him and ended up giving them to my Daughter for her dogs.

Thank you for your very kind offer which I will gratefully accept but you must let me pay for them , or at least the postage .
    Will pm my address

18. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

I noticed this week in Pets at home Wainwrights are doing a wet food I think it's called simpley baked they are making one for stressed animals I think it's call Calm it contains Valerian and banana no idea if it works though:)

Rosie64 likes this.
  19. Rosie64

Rosie64 PetForums VIP

Thank you , I have a local P&H I will go and have a look , when this blasted rain has a break

20. Tillystar

Tillystar PetForums VIP

I think this is chicken based @Rosie64
    I use Mark & Chappel Serene um for Tilly

Rosie64 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice