Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Suggestions on areas of improvement

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by shania kahn, Jan 6, 2021.

1. shania kahn

shania kahn PetForums Newbie

As the post title suggests, I have no idea if I'm doing this correctly and would love for someone with more expertise to suggest what I can improve on/do differently.

We were expecting a litter of 5 (as per sonographers predictions), but ended up with 13.
    1 sadly expired at 1 week old and that was absolutely heart-breaking but that's a post for another day. We have 12 remaining.

I tried rotating pups from day 1. The whole of week 1 was a nightmare and I noticed quite quickly that rotating alone wasn't working.

I began bottle feeding a few from the litter but from the beginning of week 2 and coming onto week 3, this is what things look like...

I feed each (minus 3) puppy with a bottle of 120mls of provimi multimilk at 4.30am and again at 4.30pm. Most of the puppies will finish the bottle with a handful of pups leaving a few mls. Each pup is winded and falls asleep soon after feeding– I assume this indicates their hunger is satiated and they are satisfied.

There are 3 puppies from the 12 that will absolutely, flat-out refuse the bottle. These three pups will get alone time with mum whilst we feed the other 9.

Between the two bottle feeds, all pups have full access to mum– during this time, some feed off of her more than others.

They are pooping and peeing themselves. Eyes are open and walking (stumbling) around.

2. David C

David C PetForums Senior

Sounds to me like what you are doing is working. The 3 who wont take it are most probably getting enough from mum. If they all have nice round bellies inbetween times from feeding from mum then they are doing ok.

shania kahn likes this.
  3. shania kahn

shania kahn PetForums Newbie

Thank you. This is our first and last litter and only came to be due to a contract I had in place with the breeder of our bitch. The reassurance you offered is much appreciated.

David C likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice