Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Suggestions/Ideas please

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jayne31, Jan 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayne31

Jayne31 PetForums VIP

Morning All

I need your help! As some of you may have seen Oscar was groomed on Friday as he was very badly matted. He's basically got little fur from just behind his front shoulder blades all the way back and only has little "socks" left on his back legs.

Any hoo, I came in last night and found him in a bit of a state, pacing round the house and walking into the walls, doors, getting behind the washing machine etc. I rang the emergency vet who said it sounded like he'd either had a stroke or his BP had shot up and he was blind :eek: Bless the vets heart, she only lives round the corner from me so came round to have a look (and not charged me!). She said to leave him overnight to see how he went and drop him down to the surgery this morning. He was a lot better this morning but still not quite right.

So, we've just come back and I'm pleased to say Oscar is not blind and they don't think he's had a stroke but he has had some sort of "turn" but he does have a low body temperature which could be the cause of this behaviour and he might be in slight shock over the grooming (really wishing I'd not had it done now). Oh his BP is slightly elavated but then it always is when I take him to vet. So the vet said to keep an eye on him and to try and keep him warm. I've got to take him back on Saturday if he's still not right

After all that waffle, what I'm basically asking for are suggestions on how I can keep him warm. The heating is on, at the moment he is not sleeping in his usual spot on sofa otherwise I would be putting a hot water bottle there. He's currently asleep on the rug covered by one of his blankets.....but that takes some doing because as soon as he's covered up he wriggles out.

The only idea I've had is buying a pair of leg warmers and cutting out some holes for his legs, not sure how this will go down :rolleyes:

Any suggestions/ideas gratefully received.

2. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Hi there

You could try one of the jackets designed for mother cats to stop them suckling their young due to blood type incompatibility. Can't remember the name off the top of my head, but hopefully someone else will know. You could also buy a prem babygrow and put him in that, cutting a hole out over his bum so he can have his tail out and use the tray. In desperation once (I was trying to give a mum rest from kittens), I cut a sleeve off one of my tops, then cut leg holes out of it and used that. The only ohter thing you could do is look online, as you can buy cat jumpers. Many sphynx owners use them if they're taking their cats out.

That's about all I can think of right now besides the obvious of giving him heat pads, hot water bottles, lots of cuddles etc.

3. dagny0823

dagny0823 PetForums VIP

I'm afraid I don't have any useful suggestions, other than trying a baby t-shirt. But I just wanted to say, poor little sensitive guy! I feel so bad for him--you need to convince him somehow that this won't have to happen if he just lets you brush him. I know, easier said than done.

He reminds me of my dog when I was a kid. He was the best dog in the world, just a mutt, and my parents for some reason insisted on taking him to the groomers to be shaved in the summer. He always looked terrible (he really just looked like a goat) and, worse yet, they put bows in his ears, although he was not a tiny little dog of the sort that looks cute with bows. Every trip was a study in humiliation for him--he'd come in the door and hide under the bed for hours. I found dressing him in a t-shirt did wonders for his psyche until the newness wore off and he got his self-confidence back.

I hope Oscar feels better soon.

4. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

poor Oscar. I did wonder how he would react when I saw his picture to be honest. Many years ago I bought a kitten that turned out to have ringworm. My then 7 persians had to be totally shaved. They did not enjoy the after effects and some were quite distressed. I can remember to this day how poor Shady reacted when her tail touched her back. poor lamb was terrified. I can't remember using anything like baby grows or anything like that. Would he lie on flectabed q or something like that. They are very popular with both young and old in this house.

Hoping he soon gets over the shock and feels better soon x

5. Scarlett20

Scarlett20 PetForums Senior

How old is Oscar?

I was just wondering - did he used to let you brush him or has he always been a hater of the brush & comb?

It is a shame that the weather is extra cold this week. The only advice I can give is really what other people have already said, plus perhaps if you look on the internet how the Sphynx cat owners look after their kittys throughout the Winter, you might get a few tips and ideas.

Also, could you perhaps make sure that his food is a little bit warmer than normal. I know that when we eat something which is cold, it does nothing to warm us up, but some food which is a little bit warm, could help.

Hope his fur grows back very very soon.

6. PetloverJo

PetloverJo PetForums VIP

Hoping your furbaby is feeling better soon xxx

7. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Closed at Jayne's request after the loss of her beloved Oscar :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice