Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Suggestions for puppy biting

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Ducky, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

so far skye has been fairly good on all accounts, but her mouthing is getting a bit out of control. its almost impossible to play with her as she just goes wild and lunges all over you biting, and sometimes really quite hard. i know all puppies do it, but its really getting quite bad.

ive tried lots of things to stop her but nothing seems to be working. iv tried just saying no, iv stopped playing with her(though she just carries on biting), iv left the room which does calm her down but as soon as you go back in she just starts again. etc etc

i think she thinks its a game, cause the more i say no at her, the more she jumps and bites. and then she starts growling and barking. she throws herself at your legs and grabs hold and doesnt let go. all my trousers have holes in them now, and my arms are just covered in little teeth marks.

has anyone got any ideas that will try and calm her down?

2. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

Hi, could you give a bit more info on your puppy please ?
    Like what breed and how old :)

3. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

flat coat retriever, 8 weeks old. had her for 1.5weeks.

4. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

At the puppy class on tuesday the trainer said if we are playing and the pups bite to yelp like they would. keep still just yelp and the puppy stops.

I have to say i tried this yesterday and i only had to do it once and so far the pups havnt bitten since

5. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

this was the first thing i tried. didnt work. she thought it was fun and started barking at me and biting again. thanks for the suggestion though.

6. Birdie Wife

Birdie Wife PetForums Member

If yelping doesn't work (it didn't help a lot with my pup) then tell her "no" in a low growly tone. The next time she bites, increase the volume to medium. The next time, increase the volume to loud and shut her out of the room - if she is liable to scratch and damage things, put her in a puppy pen, but exclude her for a few minutes and when she's calmed down, let her out again. She'll soon learn that when you first say "no" that if she carries on, she gets excluded, and she doesn't get back in until she's calm. This might sound mean - but the exclusion only lasts a few minutes, and teaches a important lesson. Try to ignore the crying!!

Another tip - my pup always seems to get more fractious when she needs the toilet - but at 8 weeks, if your pup needs the toilet, he/she will probably just 'go' :eek:

Edited to add - my pup was (and occasionally, still is...) just like yours for mouthing/biting. She got the message with me very quickly (using the method above) that play time meant chewing the toy, not the person, and when I said "no" I meant "no". She still play bites my OH too hard, but he eggs her on just so that he can complain that she bites him and he never wanted a dog in the first place :eek:ut: :rolleyes:

#6 Birdie Wife, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  7. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

cheers, il try the progressively louder no.
    she is actually really good with the toilet, since the day we got her she has always asked to go outside. she still has the occasional accident though, like this morning!

i tried the yelping thing again, but made it a more sharp noise than i had used before, and it seemed to work. she stopped immediately and began playing a bit nicer. so i might keep trying that one first. thanks guys

8. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

Right, I've just put my defense shield up cos I know there will be loads of people throwing stones at me for what I'm about to suggest :rolleyes:

When your puppy tries to bite your hand, do not pull your hand away, instead push your hand into it's mouth, not hard and not too far back, just firmly and then hold it there until your puppy tries to spit your hand out.

If he's trying to bite other areas, then grab his muzzle and put your fingers under his chin and your thumb in his mouth and press down firmly but not too hard, he'll again try to spit your thumb out.

When doing this, I use the word 'gentle'. If your puppy squeals at all then you're doing it too roughly, this will upset your puppy and give you a whole new set of issues to deal with :eek:

Retrievers are a working breed and whether you intend working it or not, you should still give it something to do, maybe play fetch with it to wear it out before doing other training... sit, lie down, wait, stay etc.

Too many people leave training til it's too late and find it harder to deal with issues. The suggestion above is the way I've trained all 4 of my dogs (3 lhasa's and 1 pyrenean mountain dog) each and every one of them is very gentle with no mouthing or nibbling.

right... back behind the peephole to watch the oncoming stones in safety :)

9. lynn9994

lynn9994 PetForums Junior

I had better hide as well because its the same method i have used with 2 of my dogs the other never needed to be told off for this as she was always gentle, i must say also it only takes a matter of days but be persistent.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice