Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Suggestions for Introducing 'Special Needs' Cat to My Resident Cats

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by gaia227, Dec 2, 2010.

1. gaia227

gaia227 PetForums Newbie

I just recently started fostering a kitty named Mimsy. She is about a year old and she had been living in a cage at an adoption center for five months. Within the last couple months she developed 'cage rage' - hissing, scratching at people, not wanting to be touched, scared, frustrated - who can blame her, right? I decided to foster her in hopes that we could help her gain some trust back in people, socialize her and help her gain confidence. The way she is currently she is considered non-adoptable. She is very happy to be out of the cage and she is very playful when left alone in her safe-room. She loves cat-nip and she enjoys just messing around, getting into stuff, exploring her new found freedom. I have only had her for two days. She still does not want me touch her however she will lick baby-food off my finger and take treats from me. When I woke up this morning she was in bed next to me. She obviously wants to connect she isn't quite sure how yet.

I have four resident cats ages: 11yrs, 7yrs, 2.5 yrs and 1.5yrs. My cats have always been pretty good about accepting new animals into the home. The two eldest have been through it several times now. It is my youngest, Alyosha, an Oriental Siamese, who is the baby. He is super affectionate, loves people, we sometimes board dogs in our home through my fiance's job and he has always been the first one to accept them. He was the cat I was least worried about but he is proving me wrong. He is absolutely obsessed with trying to get into the bedroom where Mimsy is and he is constantly meowing at the door, digging at it, pawing frantically at the door knob, trying to climb the shoe tree. The yowling. OMG. He is making me a little nuts. Normally I would not have introduced them so soon but he was really making me crazy and given his temperment I thought it might help Mimsy. Initially, all he wanted to do was check out her food - I am still not clear on if he just didn't notice it was a new cat because he didn't react to her AT ALL. She thunked him on the head about three times, he totally ignored her, then suddenly it like dawned on him and his tail got all big, etc. Now if they see eachother he postures like crazy and he starts to move towards her in a pretty intimidating fashion. I pet him, talk calmy to him and sometimes he will back off and come over to me to rub on me. Alyosha has lived with other cats his entire life so I am a little surprised at his response. My other three cats have been pretty relaxed about it. They are interested but they don't act aggressive like he does and obsessed
    The issue is that Mimsy is scared of people and cats. I can't pick her up to put her in the carrier. I can't pick her up to bring her out in the rest of the apt and put the other cats in the bedroom so they can switch places and smell eachother's environments. At this point I can't even touch Mimsy. I have switched out their cat beds so my cats can smell hers and she can smell theirs. I have offered treats to both of them when they are in the same room trying to help them make an association of pleasure with eachother. If she reacts to my cats by hissing and growling at them they are most-likely going to reciprocate. She is already pretty comfortable in the bedroom, I think she is just so happy to be out of a tiny space and she is already interested in checking out the rest of the apartment. I feel bad for her being left in the bedroom all the time. I know it is still very soon. I have a lot of experience with cats however I have never tried to introduce a traumatized, scared adult cat into the mix before and am looking for any suggestions - unorthodox or not. I am open to anything. I have a lot of hope for Mimsy. She just needs to be given a chance. She has been bounced around then stuck in a cage for most of her life and she is unsure of herself and her place in this world. I just really want to make this a postive experience for her.

2. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

maybe put Aloysha in his carrier for *her* to approach.... restrict his posturing etc

also bachs rescue remedy in everyone's water could help

3. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

We used to have lots of cats when I was a child.. My parents were fosterer's.. My mum used to intro them through play... Piece of string with a little mousey thing on, cats would have the odd bop but they were all more concerned about getting the mouse.. I dont know if this will help...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice