Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

suggestions etc

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by candysmum, Apr 20, 2011.

1. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

#1 candysmum, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  2. ridgeback05

ridgeback05 PetForums Senior

the way i got all my dogs used to their crates was to do all feeding in the crate and i also kept the water bowl in the crate...never use the crate as a place of punishment...only use crate for good things....all 3 of my dogs now go to their crates when asked...also i find giving the crate a name helps...i call ours..bed...so anytime i want dogs in crate i just say to them...in your bed and no matter where about they are in the house they go to their crate...i find when you start out..feed in crate with the door open so pup can come out if it likes...over time you can start to close door over but not lock it...and again over more time you can start to lock crate for a short time and increase time as you go along...once they are used to being in crate when locked you can start to ask them to go into crate every now and then...when they enter tell them how good they are close the door and lock...maybe give a small treat through the bars..and leave the room for a couple of minutes..then come back and let your dog out..keep this up and increase the time you are out the room each time...this is the way i do it..hope this helps and i am sure others will give you other tips.tell you this it does not take long for them to get used to the crate...also maybe put a couple of toys in the crate while training

3. lucyandsandy

lucyandsandy PetForums VIP

With my puppy (my first at crate training so I am in no way experienced!) I made the crate a really nice place to be. I put one of my old dressing gowns in there and some treats and left it there for a day for her to pop in and out of it as she pleased. I then started to feed her in their and close the door while she was eating.

If she was really into chewing something I would put it in the crate so she could chew it then etc just everything nicey nicey and smelling nice and she should get used to it.

4. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Firstly you need to decide what you want the crate to be. Is it a nice haven for her or is it a "time out" space ?? Unless you mean time out as somewhere to let her nap off an overtired tantrum then i dont think you should use a crate for both, it is 1 or the other.

Fabric crates are OK but be warned a pup will chew their way out of it by wrecking the zip in time (oscar did)

If you want to "crate train" her then the way to start is to pop the crate somewhere quiet and leave it open, drop a handful of kibble in there and her favourite toy and just let her discover them, randomly drop a handful of kibble in so everytime she explores the space she gets a reward.

Give ALL meals in their and progress to stuffed kongs or bones encouraging her to settle for longer in their, if she falls asleep in it then close the door but be on hand when she wakes up to release and praise immediately BEFORE she whines :)

5. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

#5 candysmum, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice