Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sudden sleep problems 2yr old Bichon

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by jewelz, Apr 5, 2011.

1. jewelz

jewelz PetForums Newbie

Hi
    Really hope you can help with our problem.
    We have 2 yr old Bichon brother and sister, had them from 12 weeks.
    They sleep in a crate and have always been absolutely fine, until a couple of weeks ago!
    The female has had an ear infection, she was treated by the vet who also gave her steroids as she has a skin problem which makes her ears worse!
    She seemed to be recovering but we went to bed one night a couple of weeks ago and she was howling and crying and eventually banging on the crate, so I came down, let them out and just sat on the sofa with her a while, calmed her down and eventually put them back in but she wouldn't settle so I ended up sleeping on the sofa with them at the end!
    She slept fine with me down there and now will not settle at night!
    She cried it turns into a howl then a bark with banging on the crate!
    We are taking turns on the sofa but need to put a stop to this!
    Anyone got any advice?
    Last night I slept down with them and left them in the crate and I was constantly reassuring that I was there but didn't let them out but the whining drove me mad and the others in the house were up early for work so had to let her out!
    The boy is absolutely fine, settles well and would be ok in the crate!
    Thinking about putting the crate in the bedroom??
    Thoughts :)

2. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

We have a 10 month old Bichon and had something similar to this a few weeks ago. Poppy had always slept in her crate from day one and this is kept in the kitchen/sun room (an L-shaped room). She had been fine, wasn't always keen to go in the crate but she settled and slept with no problems until we came down in the morning.

One night she just started whining/howling/barking - totally new to us, she'd not done it before. I allowed it to continue for a little while then I came down to see if there was a problem. I calmed her down, settled her back into the crate and went back to bed.

It started again and sounded so distressing that I did actually sleep on the sofa the rest of the night with her in her donut bed on the floor. She slept fine, no problems. Just a one night wobble I thought.

Next night I did the normal routine but again she started the howling/barking. I thought she was trying it on as I'd come down the night before and she wanted company again, but at 9 months old I couldn't understand why it had started.

I came downstairs, left the door of her crate open, put her donut bed in front of her crate, settled her and went back to bed. Bingo - she was happy and has been fine since. She can sleep either in her crate or the donut bed - her choice.

I've come to the conclusion that she just didn't want to be locked in her crate at night any more. At bedtime she either goes into her open crate or her donut bed, she decides. She might go to bed in her crate and we find her in the donut in the morning, or vice versa. She's happy, we're happy, all's well :001_smile:.

Is it possible that you could try leaving the crate open and putting some other bedding nearby. Your boy may decide he wants to stay in the crate but your girl has the choice. Might be worth a try. Personally I'm not one for dogs sleeping in the bedroom, but that is personal choice.

As they're 2 years old and have been happy downstairs all this time, I personally think it would be a bit of a backward step to suddenly allow them to be in the bedroom, especially as the boy is quite happy.

3. jewelz

jewelz PetForums Newbie

Thank you for your reply :)

Through they day when they fancy a nap we have a doggy cushion that they go on, so the other night I left the door open and she settled on the cushion but 20 mins later she was crying and jumping at the door to the stairs so unfortunately that didn't work :(

I have noticed she is panting really heavily almost like a panicky deep breathing, she is due back at the vets on Fri so I am going to mention it to him and see what he says!
    Hate to see her so distressed, she is a lovely placid dog who is well behaved, slightly timid, if we are out for walks and she comes across a giddy dogs she will run away and want you to 'save' her whereas the boy is brave and bold and will approach others! Such different personalities!

Anyway thanks again :smile:

4. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

My son has Poppy's litter sister and they are very different personalities too. Poppy is the timid one and her sister is a lot bolder although she does live with a rather manic 3 yr old labradoodle and in a house with 3 children so quite noisy, ours is just us two (retired) and Poppy so a lot quieter.

Come back and let us know what the vet says, maybe the panting is indicative of something and he can throw some light on it.

It's strange that your girl is crying like this when she has her brother with her, you would think that would be a comfort and company especially as they have been together all along. There must be a reason, hope you can find out what it is.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice