Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

sudden onset of strange symptoms

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by mumof2furs, Sep 12, 2021.

1. mumof2furs

mumof2furs PetForums Newbie

Hi
    Just reaching out to see if anyone has experienced similar as time may be running out for my Buddy. On thursday evening he came home late and was behaving very oddly, he wouldn't come near us and just cowered in the hall, my initial fear was that he had been either hit by a car or a cruel person. We took him to our vet who examined him and could find no damage but sent him home with anti inflammatory medicine which we couldn't give to him because he wouldn't eat. We returned to the vet the next day and she was shocked by his deterioration. She said she had seen nothing like it before, he was hissing, meowing, and holding his neck bent over. He is now in hospital, has been xrayed, no physical damage, he didnt seem able to empty his bladder so has been catheterised, they have done bloods and urine test, awaiting results. Buddy is 12 years old but literally the most lively, happy boy, friendly and full of energy, this was so sudden. Please does anyone have any ideas? xx

2. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Hi, I'm so sorry to hear this. I would also suspect he may have been hit by a car especially as he was out late. I assume the vet checked to see if his claws looked scuffed or shorter than usual? This is often the most obvious sign of a car accident, as the cat grips the road when they are hit.

If the vet is sure it's not that, it.is possible for cats of his age to suddenly develop age related health problems which could manifest suddenly. It could be a bladder blockage problem which is an emergency in male cats.

I hope the vet has now been able to get some medication into him which should help to stabilise him.

Calvine and TriTri like this.
  3. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Sounds like his urinary tract was blocked, an extremely painful and potentially fatal condition. I'm surprised the vet didn't tell you that. It's good you got him to the vet when you did. If you hadn't told us he was blocked, the first thing I would have asked you was, has he peed?

Treaclesmum likes this.
  4. mumof2furs

Thank you so much for your reply. The vet at the hospital initially suspected trauma and said the same about his claws but there was no sign and two xrays showed no injuries so he has ruled that out now.
    He is still catheterised and they have done everything they can think of for him but several vets have looked at him and they are all baffled as his bloods and vitals are all within the normal range. I think we have to accept that this is indeed a sudden onset condition, probably neurological but the vet has said that even if he has further tests they may never know what has happened to him. He hadnt improved at all by last night but the vet asked to keep him overnight in the hope that he may improve.

OrientalSlave likes this.
  5. mumof2furs

Thank you for your reply. I think the first vet I saw ruled that out fairly quickly as Buddy had done a big pee on the sofa before we got him to the vet! He has never done that before. However after that his bladder filled up again and he just didnt go, it seemed to them that he didnt know how to and that was when she suspected something neurological.

6. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear your boy and hope he is now showing signs of improvement.

7. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I hope Buddy is somewhat better today, poor guy. It is so frustrating when you are doing all you can to find out what's wrong and the vets are baffled. It does rather sound as though he may have had some sort of stroke, but then there would be signs that the vet would spot. I wish him well.

#7 Calvine, Sep 13, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  8. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

I think it could still be a urinary problem, as @lorilu said.

Peeing on the sofa may mean he had some pain, caused by bladder stones or something similar, causing inflammation and making it difficult for him to pee again. I would suggest they should maybe xray his bladder.

lorilu likes this.
  9. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

One of mine had a PU after being catheterised for nine days (72 hours on/12 hours off) and they never did get to the bottom of it. All was normal, but according to the vet, many cases of FLUTD are simply caused by stress (and sometimes made worse by obesity).

OrientalSlave likes this.
  10. mumof2furs

Thank you. He hasnt improved today sadly

11. mumof2furs

All his blood and urine work is normal, but I will ask if they can scan his bladder, thank you

12. mumof2furs

I really hope it turns out to be something treatable but it's not looking good. They are going to try removing the catheter later today and see if he can now pee on his own, it certainly could've been stress because when he first came in he looked traumatised poor boy, definitely not obesity as he is 4kg

13. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

duplicate deleted

#13 OrientalSlave, Sep 14, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  14. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

15. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

The vet told me not to be surprised if he didn't pee straight away after the first catheter, and that as often as not they had to do a second one before they got results. But mine didn't even after the second, so they tried a third and still nothing. So, nine or ten days later they operated. I really hope Buddy will be OK.

16. Dreamiesburglar

Dreamiesburglar PetForums Junior

I'm so sorry Buddy is suffering.
    I hope he can recover quickly and go back to being his usual self.
    Poor cat... I do hope it's nothing sinister, whatever it is that is affecting him.
    Sounds like he was traumatised by something from what you said. Hopefully it's not a stroke but something less serious.
    Lots of love from me for a speedy recovery xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice