Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sudden lethargy,loss of appetite,vet unsure?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Tamla, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Tamla

Tamla PetForums Newbie

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone has any advice regarding my cats symptoms at all?

Clover is a spayed, 16yr old (ish) female overweight diabetic.
    Apart from the diabetes she's been in good health!

She hasn't really poked her nose outside the door since before Christmas but Thursday this week she popped out for whole ten minutes in the evening and munched some grass (usually does this) and promptly brought it all back up again (usual again!) but she made a terrible sound whilst retching, like a shriek, and there was a small spot of bright blood in the bile. She came straight in and for the rest of the evening she was retching and slightly foaming, tinged pink at times. Her breathing went from totally normal to sounding like Darth Vader, all rattly and phlegmy sounding. And she had a hacking gurgly cough. By 8pm I'd had enough and whisked her to the emergency vets. He had a look down her throat and said he thought he could see a lump...it was red anyway. We agreed to bring her back in at 9.30 Friday morning to leave her there and be anesthetized, have an exploratory but to be prepared to PTS given her age and diabetes :(
    Waited all day for the call, when it came the vet said she hadn't anaesthetised her as didn't feel comfy but managed to make her dozy enough to take a good look down her throat. There was NO lump but there was a tear at the back of her throat...bought on by the retching? Don't know..
    Anyway we took her home Friday evening and she was very lethargic and woozy. Not at all interested in food or drink..we let her sleep all night, her breathing was better but still wheezy in places.
    We have metacam to give in her breki and antirobe to give at dinner....but she won't eat a thing. Popped back to the vets and got a syringe to put her pulverised food and drugs in and syringe it into her mouth.
    She has remained in the same spot since 10pm Friday eve, hasn't moved until I carried her into the lounge with us. She has done a few barking coughs but just doesn't want to know much at all...we managed to get the food and metacam into her around 2.30pm today and she seemed to really enjoy it, even purred a bit after...then went straight back to a deep sleep.
    Just going to give her another feed with the antirobe in.

Has anyone come across anything similar? I'm struggling with the fact she was a-ok until she started retching up the grass?! It's all a bit odd. It's horrible seeing her there not moving and not interested...is she just sleeping off the effects or really poorly....

Thanks to anyone with any info large or small, encouraging or not..

Tami

2. Esemais

Esemais PetForums Member

Sorry to read this, I do hope she picks up soon.

With regards to the change in breathing, could she have aspirated some of her vomit? That might explain the coughing and the rattly breathing.

How is her breathing now?

3. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

Did they say if she was sleepy enough to be able to pull her soft palate down and make sure there's no grass blade stuck up the back of her nose?

If she's not eating to take the oral meds, it may be worth asking if she can have some injections get her started, as it were.

Poor love, I hope she feels better soon xxx

4. Tamla

Tamla PetForums Newbie

Thanks both.

Well I have just tried to give her more mashed food with the antibiotic in...she didn't want to know, got agitated and started coughing and wheezing again...the cough is like an old man's...to my untrained ear it really does sound like a form of blockage, like grass or something as you say here.
    But the vet says nothing seen...didn't mention about the soft palate I must say. I've just syringed some water into her as she must be getting so dehydrated by now. She sounds awful :(

Thanks for your kind words both, another call to the vets tomorrow re jabbing antibiotics instead!
    It's so frustrating.
    xx

5. Tamla

Tamla PetForums Newbie

ah well. Sadly Clover continued to be more and more lethargic and we were struggling to even syringe liquids into her....took her to the vets today and after another puzzled vet (temp fine, heart fine, no lumps or bumps) they took her bloods and found her alt results re enzymes in her liver off the chart. The Vet said he had only ever seen one other cat with that high a count. Liver disease....he said it can come on very suddenly which this certainly seems to have as she was right as rain Thursday morning.....so the heartbreaking but very right decision made to put her to sleep today.

Missing my little shadow loads. :(

6. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Oh gosh what a shock for you, I'm so sorry :sad:
    I didn't realise liver disease happened so fast, at least poor Clover wasn't sick for too long and you must have been very strong to make that difficult decision for her. Massive hugs xxx

7. GingerJasper

GingerJasper PetForums Senior

I'm so sorry at the outcome of this post I thought you were going to say finally a blade of grass came up.

RIP Clover xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice