Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sudden Change with toilet

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by KimmyJ, Jan 26, 2021.

1. KimmyJ

KimmyJ PetForums Newbie

Hi - new member here. My 4 year old cockapoo (intact) has started scenting on any new box or clothes hanging on the airer. He also went through a phase of getting up in the middle of the night. During lockdown I was home with him and in November I went back to work and I think it is getting worse. I don’t want to get him “done” so does anyone have any advice? I also have a younger poo and he is so much better with the toilet but he cries when he is left. I’m worried I have completely messed them up by being home for so long

McKenzie likes this.
  2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum :)

The first step for the toileting issue would be getting a urine sample tested at the vet to make sure there's not a UTI or other issue. It does sound like scent marking though. Other than having him neutered, I'm not sure what you could do short of blocking access to anything he might mark. When did it start and was it ever an issue previously? Will he do it while you are there or not? I think @SusieRainbow went through this with her boy so just tagging her.

How old is your younger dog and has he always been unsettled when left, or is this new too?

Lurcherlad and SusieRainbow like this.
  3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

We rehomed Bobby at 6 yrs old, a retired stud dachshund. He had been living with 2 other entire boys and a few bitches and the breeder warned us that he was a habitual marker - and she was right ! He would cock his leg on everything , not a surface was safe ! In the end we decided reluctantly to have him castrated and it was like turning a tap off! That was the only thing that worked for us.
    Is there any particular reason why you don't want your boy neutered ? I can honestly say it hasn't affected Bobby's temperament at all, he's a lovely friendly cuddly boy. He did put weight on more easily and to his dismay ( he's a real foodie) we've had to cut down his portions.

Sarah H, Lurcherlad and McKenzie like this.
  4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Did you get them used to being alone again before going back to work?

If they got used to you being around all day they may now be getting anxious.

5. KimmyJ

KimmyJ PetForums Newbie

Thank you all. McKenzie I am certain it’s not a UTI as he now goes all night and during the day (unless there’s a new box to scent . Suzie, I just didn’t think they needed to be neutered until now. Mako is so lovely and laid back I was worried it would change him. Logan has always been a little fretful. He is 3 but scared of everything!! Saying that he again with us is the most loving beautiful dog. I guess if I get one done they will both need doing! Lurcherlad, no I didn’t. TBF I really didn’t think how it would affect them.

6. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

No they don't both need doing. And I'd avoid it with a nervous dog as testosterone boosts their confidence, so neutering 'could' make him more anxious. However with your older dog it is certainly something to think about. People are more pro leaving intact these days but I'm personally still pro neutering as long as the dog is fully grown and has no behavioural issues that might be exacerbated by neutering. But that comes from volunteering in rescue.
    It definitely sounds like scent marking to me, and unless you can manage it and get a really good recall away from the items he likes to mark then neutering is your best bet to stop it.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I think a lot of people have noticed their dogs are a bit more clingy since Lockdown so it’s a good idea to keep them used to being happy alone by trying to go out and leave them for a short time at least every day.

(If dog walking is your daily exercise too then they are never alone really.)

If that hasn’t been done throughout Lockdown then ideally, for a couple of weeks before returning to full time work it’s a good idea to start with a few seconds, returning before they are anxious, and build them up from there. Leave the tv, radio, lights on if it helps them - it can mask outside noise too which can upset them.

It took about that time to settle Jack for up to 2 hours alone (enough for me at the time as I don’t work) when I got him from rescue with slight anxiety. He was fine for several hours eventually.

8. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

You could look at the chemical castration (which name has escaped me right now). It lasts for about 6 months and will give you a good idea as to whether castration will stop the marking, as well as any other potential changes.

I did it with my boy and then got him neutered following it.

Sarah H likes this.
  9. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Suprelorin?

McKenzie likes this.
  10. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

That's the one :)

SusieRainbow likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice