Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sudden change in sleep pattern

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Jessyroo, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Jessyroo

Jessyroo PetForums Newbie

We have a 6 month old boxer male called Oscar. We love him to bits though he is completely mental. We're working hard on the training and we're seeing light at the end of the tunnel. He is also booked in to have his 'op' in two weeks time. one thing we're completely baffled by is a sudden change in behaviour at night. Fom day one he has always been a good sleeper. when he was really little we would let him out for a wee at about 3am but that soon changed and for the past 2 months he has always slept soundly through the night. we put him out for a wee at about 11pm (he dozes from about 9:30pm) and that would be enough until about 6:30am. But for the past 2 nights, when we wake him for his pre bed wee he immediately perks up like its play time. he used to go back to bed straight away but now he wanders around. he has even started whining at the door if we go out the room and barking which is not good as we live in an attached house! But then he doesn't seem to settle at all during the night...he's just really restless. It's just so strange and out of character. We don't want him to sleep in our rooms....for one thing he snores like a trooper! We're just not sure what to do...do we give him attention (we really feel we have to do something to stop the barking). He gets plenty of exercise during the day, a few training sessions, some play time and fuss! He also doesn't suffer from separation anxiety and is happy for us to leave the room and he doesn't bark if we go out. We don't think he wants us at night....just to play with a toy!

Could this be 'hormonal'??

Any help will be greatly apprecaited to understand this!

Sorry for the long essay!

xx

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Could something have upset or scared him? Some fireworks or something like that.

He might be smelling a bitch in season.

3. Jessyroo

Jessyroo PetForums Newbie

That's an interesting one...we live nest door to two bitches (one either side) and that's the only thing that has changed in his nightly routine. He's definitely become sexually mature- he even sleep humps! He's just not the kind of dog that craves human attention all the time but he LOVES other dogs so I really think that might be it! Especially as the night air has been so still. Do you know how far away they can smell females? thank you so much for your response...do you have any ideas how to deal with it?

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I think they can smell one from miles away.

Not a lot you can do if thats the problem, i dont think.

5. Louby

Louby PetForums Junior

i have a male pup and i am also intersted in this behaviour - just for future reference - will neutering help with this problem nonnie?

sorry to hijack ur post jessyroo :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice