UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible for dogs to 'act out' when a member of the family is away from home??

I have taken Flint to my parents this week so im away from home, Simba & Gemma are at home with hubby, who works away during the day. They are fine in the house during the day when he is in work but the last 2 or 3 days when he is home Gemma has had 'accidents' in the house!

The back door is open during the evening so they can go out whenever they need to, but yesterday and today she has come in from outside and gone upstairs and done both a wee and a poo.

She has been 99% clean for months and months now so why is she doing this now?
Is it because Im not there?

Iv decided Im going home early tomorrow instead of the weekend to see if shes okay.
Hubby has said shes completely normal in every other way but is doing this...he just text me saying as he got out the shower he caught her peeing on the bed!!! :eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Its possible that she may have a urinary tract infection which would explain the weeing accidents perhaps, they tend to wee more frequently and in greater quantities and also lose control sometimes you notice drinking more too. It wont explain the poo accident unless its loose or diarrhoea in which case they can have accidents and get caught short too.

How old is Gemma and is there someone usually there during the day, if she is young too still and not long been toilet trained, then they can have relapses, often with pups we think they have got it, but still need to be reminded if they are not then they often relapse, especially if OH isnt reminding her or ensuring she goes. Usually if its just that a crash course in retraining for a couple of days sorts it.

If your usually there most of the time and obviouly flint is too, some dogs especially when young really dont like a change in routine either they can get really upset about it. If one of this lot has to go in the vets for the day the others tend to mope about until the missing one is back.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its possible that she may have a urinary tract infection which would explain the weeing accidents perhaps, they tend to wee more frequently and in greater quantities and also lose control sometimes you notice drinking more too. It wont explain the poo accident unless its loose or diarrhoea in which case they can have accidents and get caught short too.

How old is Gemma and is there someone usually there during the day, if she is young too still and not long been toilet trained, then they can have relapses, often with pups we think they have got it, but still need to be reminded if they are not then they often relapse, especially if OH isnt reminding her or ensuring she goes. Usually if its just that a crash course in retraining for a couple of days sorts it.

If your usually there most of the time and obviouly flint is too, some dogs especially when young really dont like a change in routine either they can get really upset about it. If one of this lot has to go in the vets for the day the others tend to mope about until the missing one is back.
Thanks for your reply. Gemma is 2 next week. Her poops in the house were hard so not like she got caught short or anything. I am usually at the house with them all day every day but this week iv been at my parents so Gem & Sim have been at the house alone during the days.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Gemma is 2 next week. Her poops in the house were hard so not like she got caught short or anything. I am usually at the house with them all day every day but this week iv been at my parents so Gem & Sim have been at the house alone during the days.
Could be just that then, but keep an eye on her especially if she is weeing in greater amounts and quantity and continues to have accidents it could be a UTI, still wouldnt explain the poops but if that was only once and the wees continue after you get back and things have settled might be worth getting her checked out.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Is it possible for dogs to 'act out' when a member of the family is away from home??

The back door is open during the evening so they can go out whenever they need to, but yesterday and today she has come in from outside and gone upstairs and done both a wee and a poo.
This can happen with Angel, she is younger than Gemma (10 months) we are still having to keep on top of her toilet training, we've found there is very few accidents if we get up and let her outside, shut the door till she's done then let her back in, if the door is just left open she doesn't seem to make the same association of going out to do her business. That's probably no help at all really now I've read it back :eek:

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Sounds like a change in circumstance has upset her. When you're back Home she'll probably be ok. If she is you might want to built up leaving her fos shorter amounts of time until she's used to it.

Keep an eye out for signs of a urinary infection, but I reckon it's a sort of separation anxiety. Especially seeing on the bed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.