Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Success at last! maybe?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Yummylab, May 19, 2010.

1. Yummylab

Yummylab PetForums Member

Well today i left my now 6 month old lab on his own to see how he got on, as in the past when we left him he apparently cried and barked as our neighbour soon went on to complain to the estate agents! Today i shut the door and pretended to go out by opening and shutting the front door, he had a little whinge n cry but not for the whole half n hour maybe 5 times but only lasted a minute or 2. I was just wondering if anyone had gone through this as i got loads of questions on my mind like if this carries on n he doesnt cry what are the chances of him going back to like he was before? and how to leave him next time? im hopin as well because he's getting older that might help as well

2. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Thats brilliant! hopefully in time,as he learns that you do come back,he will feel less anxious.if he is used to being by your side all day,he will complain abit about being left at home whilst you go out,try and give him some time out times during the day so he doesnt depend on your company.

3. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

As he's young I think he stands more chance of growing out of it than if he was an older dog.

When left he's crying or whinging because he doesn't want to be on his own, and providing you don't go back to him when he is crying or whinging I can't think why he would go back.

I was extremely lucky with mine, no idea why either. Mum says he will cry a little when I go to work (he's nearly two, lol!), but he soon settles down I think its just his way of hoping I'll come back if I hear him cry. If he does cry or bark I've always been careful not to give him attention when I've left him, but I have to say if he ever cries or barks in the night I immediately go to see what it is because he's not a whiney dog and if he is fussing there is usually something wrong or that he isn't happy with.

I would say just be careful that if you happen to go back home and he is whining etc, don't fuss him til he's stopped for a minute or two and don't make him your priority before you go and when you get back, then it might not seem as big a deal to him. Ie. don't give him tonnes of kisses and cuddles just a quick tickle then go get your keys and just go, then when you come back put everything down, stick the kettle on etc and then greet him. It might help him see you going isn't a big deal?

4. Yummylab

Yummylab PetForums Member

Thanks for the advice it all helps, espically knowing im not the only who has problems lol :)

5. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

No definitely not, its pretty normal I think! Most tend to get used to it and my dog can have human company day in day out for three weeks, then be left 8.30-11am and 12-4pm for 10 days running and be fine, doesn't even bat an eyelid :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice