Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Submissively urinating....still :-(

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Acacia86, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Hi, as some of you know my rescue boy has a lot of issues. But the one thing that seems to upset him more than anything is his urinating. It always has unfortunately, if he is scared he urinates, obviously he has no reason to be scared anymore but it still happens :( if i even raise my voice a little he does it. If he doesn't listen the recall and i go towards him he does it. The list is endless. He doesn't do it as much as when i first had him but it does still happen.
    He gets very upset by it, i would assume this is because he was told off for it in the past which escalated the problem :(

I just wondered if anyone else has had this problem?

I have had him since December 08 and he has learnt so much and become much more settled but training is a gruelling process. He has made a lot of progress and i feel that he knows now that i won't desert him like everyone else did. But i can not understand why he still urinates? He knows i would never harm him or tell him off in such a way. I have built our trust up and he is so happy.

It breaks my heart to see him still do this :(

2. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

poor little guy:(

Not the same i know, but Oscar is a rescue... He was badly beaten and thrown out of a car...
    Even now (11 years on) he still flinches if we make a sudden move... He's not as bad as he was when he was a baby but it upsets me to think what he went through and that he still remembers it :(

I'm sure he will get better, it just takes time and patience :)

Do you have any piccies of him?

3. davehyde

davehyde Banned

are you sure it's submissive and not excitement?

if it is i feel for the poor thing.
    it may be that he was trying to ingratiate himself with the original person that brought this on. the b******

i would try and just totally ignore it, dont bring attention to it , but when he doesnt do it praise to high heaven.

i expect you have already tried that though, if so i dont know what to suggest.

4. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Oh bless him :(

Yeah Beau flinches big time. He also cowers. His background is awful. Briefly: He has 3 owners, i'm his 4th, none treated him well, he was beaten although i am not 100% which ones did it, he was left alone all day some evenings too, inadaquately excercised, he knew nothing but 'sit' ....................etc

I am so proud of how we have come along. He means everything to me. And i hope he feels the same! He is very attched to me, but a little more to my daughter.......they are stuck together!!

Pic attached. This is at my dad's house. xx

Attached Files:

5. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

omg he's gorgeous! :D :001_wub:

6. davehyde

davehyde Banned

AWWWWW some horrible t**t beat that little spaniel????

geez let me at 'em.

he only looks young tho to me, i hope its excitement weeing. he may be so happy with you he cant help it, mine still does it sometimes when he sees certain people or dogs. not me tho he just looks at me lol.

anyway, if it isnt upsetting the dog and you can live with it . i'd suggest letting him carry on and see if he gets more confident and happier as i'm sure he will.

7. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

He is 3 and half yrs old. And its definately not excitement :( :( we got over that one after a few months. Because if i have been out without him i don't make a fuss of him when i get back. I waited until he was calm then let him out. Once i was done putting shpping away i joined him.

I do ignore it. When it happens he is upset, i wait a few minutes then i take him outside with his ball and play for a few minutes then throw a few treats in the lawn for him to find and then go and quickly clean up. That way he doesn't see it and feel even worse.

I feel the same, if only i knew the ones that made him like this. :cursing:

8. davehyde

davehyde Banned

ok one more thought and i hate this one.

do you think maybe when the t**t beat him he may have damaged him?

i hope not but ya never know.

9. claire

claire Guest

We have simlar issues with Cassie, we have had her 2 year and she still does it, we have tried everything but it still happens, its just her i guess

10. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Possibly. But the vets have said he fine. He urinates as normal on all other occasions. Just when he is scared. You cab tell when he is scared :( They have definately damaged him mentally :(

If he does it forever then he does, not a biggie for me! The 'mess' doesn't worry me. He just gets upset by it. And i want to help him as much as is possible (Thank god for wipe clean floors though!) x

11. davehyde

davehyde Banned

acacia, respect to ya hun, if you can live with it and let it be kudos.

he may well come around knowing the pressure is off so to speak.

it's heartwarming to know he got you as a mum now and forever.((((hugs))))

12. claire

claire Guest

Cassie is the one here who is most upset by accidents, its usually when strangers come in the house she does it more, she tiddles then sulks off outside cos she is upset he has peed, we are ignoring it at the moment cos we have tried treats and stuff an it feels like we are rewarding her for acting like that and it dont stop her doin it,

13. davehyde

davehyde Banned

spanner in works, just thought of something.

a dog wouldnt be upset because they pee surely? maybe we as humans are looking at it from the wrong perspective?

i dunno for sure but maybe.

14. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

Of course they are...
    Especially if they have been punished for it previously

15. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

In my boy's case i think he was 'told off' for it :( so therefore he has asscociated it with a telling off.

Thank you for your previous post. I only want to do the best for him.

16. davehyde

davehyde Banned

yep. i'm slipping. bloody obvious aint it really lol.

doh!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Savahl

Savahl Guest

You have only had him under a yr, so he probably still has confidence to build, what do you do when he wees? Hard as it is not to fuss and reassure him i would just act like nothing has happened and clean it up - bringing no attention to the incident.

Our old westie used to pee when she was nervous (ex puppy farm breeder :( ) and it took us probably 18months to 2 yrs to really start seeing her confidence - obviously there were big leaps in the first yr but still alot of hiccups. I would say give it time, and continure with your obvious good work :)

18. SteveyP

SteveyP PetForums Member

My Oscar had this problem, he was a rescue and about 2/3 when we got him and he peed whenever anyone touched him or called him (except my eldest son, odd) he had to be cleaned up constantly and was always in the bath as it made him really smell. I asked for advice everywhere but no one had any suggestions so I just got on with the job. He couldn't have a padded blanket, he just slept in a plastic basket so it could be cleaned. The vet suggested neutering but said this could go either way, cure it or make it worse so we put it off then earlier this year we got Mischa and because she's a girl we had him done and luckily it's cured the problem. We're not sure if it was the op or because having the younger dog made him more confident but he's so much better now, he's a happy confident dog and I wish we'd done it sooner.
    For the girl doggies, someone I know suggested tablets from the vets but these were only for bitches who had incontinence problems after giving birth, I don't remember the name but they seem to be quite common.
    Good luck!

19. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

He's gorgeous, but t.b.h i think between the fact that he has had issues and the fact that he's a springer its not uncommon i have had 3 springers 2 at the mo and our first was like that and molly our youngest is the same, yes it was mostly on greeting but if either of them thought they had displeased us they did it,even cowered down as if they were scared, but they wasnt more of a submissive"ok i wnt run away again" type of thing i say displeased rather than scared becaouse springers are like that very eager to please ours did not have a previous life like yours has had we had them from8 weeks so no bad history, most of it is "the breed2 be assured. He really is a lovely boy.

20. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Thats exactly how we dealt with it ingoring and ours did get out of it but not fully. molly is 12months we came back of holiday last week with them and when our son came in she weed everywhere (he's her favourite) thought she must have stored up 2 weeks of wee up:D. Ignoring is the best i think any reaction makes them worse.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice