Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Submissive hic cup

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Mum2Heidi, May 27, 2010.

1. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I have mentioned this before but it doesn't seem to be getting any better - Heidi has always been v submissive. She rolls over onto her back for almost every dog she sees. When she is running with her mates, it's up to her but lead walking is becoming a bit embarrassing.

We took her out on Tuesday and OH picked up on it (he is disabled and doesnt come on many of our walks)and he is right, it is a bit embarrassing when you are trying to walk along and she is rolling over constantly(we were in a national trust garden)for all the dogs we encounter.

If I try to walk on, I am dragging her on her back and I'm not sure how to deal with it - what do you suggest? or would you leave it a bit longer and see if she grows out of it - she is 14 months?

2. hutch6

hutch6 PetForums VIP

Sounds like she is just a very submissive dog and maybe lacking in a bit of confidence around other dogs.

Have you had her along to training classes or anything just for the keeping focus around other dogs situation more than the training side (if you have already got this down to a T)?

3. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Bella is just like this, but will really happily play with any dog once she gets to know them...in fact she is usually the initiator of play.

If she does roll over while we are walking on lead, and I dont knwo if this is the correct way to do this, I physically pick her up ad tsand her on her feet again, and we walk on.

4. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I was v tempted to pick her up and put her on her feet.

We havent done any training classes mainly because they are all evenings round here and I was working evenings up until Feb. Her training has been relatively problem free so I havent bothered but thats definately something to consider.

Was also thinking today of may be not letting her close enough to other dogs whilst she is on the lead to see if perhaps that sows a seed.

Thanks for your input:D

5. the melster

the melster PetForums Senior

Bo is exactly the same on walks. Luckily when I set off walking again she jumps up and follows me. She crawls and submits to every dog she meets but will play with any of them whatever the size. She also sometimes does a little wee when she rolls over .. it's very embarrassing. Will watch to see the replies.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice