Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

submersible pump

Discussion in 'Marine Aquarium Advice' started by ownedbydaisy, Feb 22, 2011.

1. ownedbydaisy

ownedbydaisy PetForums Newbie

hello every1
    i've got a boyu mh400 marine aquarium and im wondering if i could put different submersible pump as the one i've got is broken and its very difficult to buy one of them.is there any pump you would recommend?and also what kind of uv lights shall I use?
    thanks

2. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

Any pump from the NewJet or Eheim Compact range with a suitable flow rate and outflow pipe fitting should suffice.

Also, what do you mean by 'UV lights'? Are you referring to the tank lighting, or a UV steriliser?

3. ownedbydaisy

ownedbydaisy PetForums Newbie

thanks for reply.i meant the UV lightning.do i need a UV sterilizer as well?

4. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

Technically the lighting over the aquarium isn't UV (Ultra-violet), the tubes are just normal fluorescents which emit light in the visible part of the electromagnetic spectrum. UV lighting is more commonly used to keep reptiles and it wouldn't hold any benefit for the fish inside the tank.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a UV steriliser. While they are useful for aquarists with tanks containing predominantly large collections of fish in order to contain pathogens and parasites, they are less useful for tanks containing invertebrates. The UV 'black lights' used in sterilisers emit powerful ionizing radiation, which causes eye damage and also destroys any beneficial microorganisms (e.g. Phytoplankton) exposed to the steriliser which otherwise could be a valuable food source for some of the tank's inhabitants. It's best to keep things natural.

5. aaron1969

aaron1969 PetForums Newbie

u v filters are set to a slow flow rate and need to be hard pipped into system some people use them and some dont for the money you pay for them i did not think it was worth it i did have one incase of white spot in tank but after reading about the uv and whitespot the jury is 50/50 if they do any good !:eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice