Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stupid, upsetting adverts

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Lumboo, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

I know it's silly as there must be lots of ads like this one, but I was googling 'long haired domestic cats' and there was an advert for a LHD cat. This lady stated the cat was almost one years old, and she was selling as she was working full time and didn't want it anymore and then put it was ready to be mated, but should be introduced to the partner as it was the first time she has been mated?!!

At 'almost' one years old this is still a kitten. Why are people so stupid and uncaring?

Sorry, I know it happens all the time but it doesn't stop it being annoying and upsetting.

On a more positive note, the ginger cat I had my eye on yesterday at the CPL (5 year old stray), as well as the b/w cats my husband loved at Battersea were adopted as well.

2. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

Because people are idiots?

I was reading a rabbit post recently. Wanting a rabbit, 'already mated up would be great' but can't afford to pay very much. well if you cant afford to pay very much you cannot afford to keep a rabbit and certainly not a bloody pregnant one.

Boils my blood... I have a pending order of over £100 quid on Zooplus for next payday. why do people think they can own pets on the bloody cheap! You can't!

3. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

I know :rolleyes:: I stupidly looked tonight and the amount of moggies and pretend 'pedigrees' that are really moggies, and dont even Look like what they are trying to sell them as is un-real, and the amount it costs to buy one!! :blink:

Makes me sick when they say 'ready to be mated soon' what type of people do they thinks going to call them up?? I just emailed someone who is selling a non-papered 'ragdoll' as '6months old and not spayed' :rolleyes:: ased them to please neuter her before they sell her for £300!

I just wish people would do a bit more research, I know that we all dislike the people selling them, but these people HAVE to STOP buying them to they STOP breeding them!! :(

Also see alot of 'wanted' adverts saying things like 'wanted female over 1 year ready to breed cant afford alot of money' makes me sad & angry! :(

#3 Taylorbaby, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  4. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

Breeding really should be regulated :(

5. dom85

dom85 PetForums Senior

Makes me sick the way people think that animals are just 'things', I hate that 'just a cat' attitude that I get from some of my non animal loving friends.

I was so torn yesterday when I went to pets at home, wandered down to the animals for adoption bit and there was a lovely 4 month old ginger rabbit and I sooo wanted to bring him home but I don't have outside space for him. But everyone wanted the baby ones :( Even posted on FB asking if anyone could have him.

6. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

That annoys me to, its like people dont realise that they DO get Bigger!!? :confused: then people see, say, a 13week old kitten & a 8week old... they would probably go for the 8week old! (if the same price etc) cos its smaller and 'cuter' yet it will be the size of the other one in a few weeks... :rolleyes:

7. dom85

dom85 PetForums Senior

I know,I just don't get it. One of the things I love about Somalis is that they take a long time to get their proper coat, its what I love about ragdolls too, its an experience watching them develop.

Argh, the 'cute kitten' thing, I almost made a ranty thread about the visit to pets at home for another reason because there was a woman wandering around with a tiny kitten in her hand, and i mean TINY, she said she was 8 weeks old which is bad enough but I'm pretty sure she was younger, she still had that very just woken up look about her eyes poor thing.

8. GingerHound

GingerHound PetForums Member

Both our dog and cat were free - after that it was all down hill on the money front. :D

9. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

And the worst on-line 'offender' for having pages and pages of the type of more upsetting/dodgy ads is, I believe, a sister site to this one :(

10. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

I saw an ad about 10 days about offering the services of a 100% pedigree Ragdoll stud boy (£100 per mating) - it was a ginger and white amber eyed moggie!!!! The owner must have had some enraged Raggie breeders emailing them because it stated in the ad that abusive emails would be reported... Thing is there will be some folk who would be taken in by it. It makes me so cross.:(
    I did email the site admin and point out that this would be fraud as clearly there was no way that cat was 100% Ragdoll but I don't think anything was done.

11. dom85

dom85 PetForums Senior

Do you remember what their location was? I saw one yesterday basically saying the same thing, but a blue point ragdoll for mating, also said he was on the non-active and could be used to mate with other breeds as long as they're health checked. I wonder if there's a way to report it and get it removed?

I wish I could remove then from my gmail, because I've looked at and contacted reputable breeders I still get this crap ads on my gmail sponsored links.

12. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

Looks like the ad has been pulled or amended - the photo has defo been removed and under e-mail it says "sold - these details are hidden"!!

"Oli is a proven stud having just sired a gorgeous litter of kittens.100% ragdoll but no papers....please email for further details,no papers necessary but all queens must have up to date vaccinations".

The cat was in Suffolk but no way was it a full Ragdoll.

13. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

yes it was a green eyed ginger & white moggie and Yes ragdoll breeders were highly offended ;) A email went round about it! no mention of HCM / FIV / FELV testing!!! no paperwork and a flippin ginger n whiet green eye cat!! :blink:

That person has mated it to a colourpoint british shorthair and it says 'price TBA' !!!! for a moggie cross british shorthair!

Plus doesnt she realise when they are born they wont be colour points? If it was a colourpoint cross colourpoint the entire litter would be colourpoints, with him being a moggie, they will prob get the 'normal' moggie patterns/colours.

Im sure they will go up for £300 and go at 8weeks old and have people throwing money at them :rolleyes::

#13 Taylorbaby, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  14. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

There is too much of this indiscriminate breeding by people who clearly haven't a clue don't care about their pets or the welfare of the young animal, they are just simply a way of making a quick buck.

Advertising outlets should have some kind of an ethical code, ie if a breeder is selling a pedigree pet then the advertiser should ensure all the boxes are ticked before placing the advert. Otherwise the pet is a mixed breed imo that includes where both parents are registered pedigrees if the off spring are not registered they should be classified as non-pedigree pets. None of this designer bull sh*t. :mad:

Unfortunately there will always be the morons of this world, even bringing in a register for breeders the back yard breeding will still go on and they will still advertise and sell pets.

I know I'm harsh, but I've been bitten so to speak by a false advertisement 6 years ago. I was naive and trusted an advert and the breeder but it will not happen to me again that's for sure. :nono:

15. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

The problem here is that you guys understand the colouring ie colour points, joe public doesn't, all this breeder has to do is advertise their designer breed as "be the first to own a unique coloured "XYZ"". Owners are proud to be the first to own such a unique breed and colour. I've even heard people say the breed doesn't have recognition yet but its been applied for.

tbh what do you say to your friend "ha they saw you coming". You can't.

16. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

At this moment in time I'm feeling very uncomfortable about using Petforums at all. The bias is very much towards not upsetting those who come here looking for advice when their (usually too young) unspayed cat has "accidentally escaped". There will be those who'll say what's happened has happened and these owners are in need of advice and help.

Another point of view could be that the owners of this site do not actually wish to discourage or alienate this type of owner. After all, Pets4Homes is the sister site to this one. Have you looked at Pets4Homes recently? I'm not going go into detail but it is truly horrendous and the site ownership obviously has absolutely NO policy of screening ads placed at all. The very people (and there are many of them) who come here, talking about their 'accidental litter' are the very people who populate Pets4Homes with pages and pages of ads. Ads without which Pets4Homes would be out of business.

17. dom85

dom85 PetForums Senior

I've said exactly that to someone I knew who went and got a beagle from a back yard breeder, she was irresponsible and stupid and hadn't done any research into the bread, just gone on to Google like a lot of people seem to do, picked her up the same day she went to see her and then re homed the poor thing a couple of weeks later.

Yes, its horrible that these people breed the way they do but people also have to take responsibility and educate themselves. I'm not a breeder but i know the markings and patterns of Somalis, the diseases associated with the breed etc etc and I also know the same about Ragdolls because I'm going to be getting one from an ethical breeder later this year.

18. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

Flipping eck... I don't think I have looked at Pets4Homes, I was referring to epupz.

We have to accept accidental litters can and do happen but I have to say I acquired (you didn't by moggies back then they were free to a good home) a male and female kitten. I didn't intend to breed, still don't tbh I took the advice from my vet, there was no internet at that time. They were both neutered/spayed at the same time when they were 5 months old - no problem.

Don't be upset with this site or members on here, at the end of the day if an animal has young they need a good and loving home. What needs to changed is how those young animals are advertised and it isn't just the sister site it appears to be all advertising outlets tbh.

Try to look at the whole thing another way, a joe public wanting a pet they believe the more they spend the better quality/rare/unique pet they get (for want of a better phrase).

You, me and 100s more members/reputable breeders on here know this type of advertising is wrong but those mutts get loving homes.

Unfortunately there is a loophole in the way a pet can be advertised, and its this loophole that needs to be closed. imo there are two types of pets pedigrees and non-pedigrees. :)

19. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

I too have a Ragdoll and I did my homework and like you found a good reputable/ethical breeder.

I didn't know anything about diseases associated with any particular breed. I should be able to trust the breeder to have reduced the risk of hereditary health and behavioural problems through selective breeding.

However previously I got my fingers burnt by false advertising by a dog breeder. I don't have a problem holding my hands up and stating I made a mistake, I researched the breed but was misinformed.

I hope these threads help other people looking for a pet and how to go about it what to look for and what to avoid.

20. catsmum

catsmum PetForums Member

with you there
    the "be nice to unscrupulous moggy breeders" thing sickens me too and puts me off using this site

if i am an unscrupulous moggy breeder who deliberately let my 9 month old moggy out to get pregnant, the only thing I have to say is "oh my 5 year old daugher left a door open and the cat accidentally got out" or "we dont have much money, we were saving up to get her spayed when she accidentally got out" then we're all expected to be nice, polite and understanding to these people with their accidental (deliberate!) litters of kittens and supply them with friendly and helpful advice, if that isnt condoning i dont know what is

i didnt know about the sister site, that does explain the bias in here when we are continually requested to be nice to to moggy breeders

you dont have to be upset at moggy breeders if you dont want to, but do you mind terribly if myself and others find it appauling?

and its not just advertising channels that need to be changed, the people who LET these cats get pregnant in the first place have to realise that its just not okay in this day and age to breed moggys

and as for the "accidents will always happen" arguement, it doesnt wash with me at all. the vast majority of "accidental" moggy litters we see on here are very thinly disguised deliberately bred litters, the posters just pretend they are "accidental" litters to avoid getting berated by members who do have scruples

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice